Regulators for steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own an old Dacor 900. I bought it in 2010 refurbished and have been using it since then (more than 100 dives) without any problems. Already two inspections done and only a seat was replaced.
I've been using only Alu tanks.
Two weeks ago I went diving with a different dive shop. He has mainly steel tanks. When I started to gear up, I found that the tank valve was too bulky for the yoke of my Dacor. The guy at the shop offered me to rent a regulator with a bigger Yoke or I could choose an Alu tank.
Those Steel tanks were also topped up to 3000 psi. I didn't see the valve rating, but could it be a valve for a higher maximum pressure ?

I've had a yoke reg that would fit over some valves and not others.. its just the way some valves are made, too big/bulky and not enough clearance for the yoke.

The 900 was made between 1979-1984. They could be yolk or DIN, but back then you had to choose one or the other. With most valves having the option for both now many tend to be a little wider and a little deeper than in in the past. You may experience the same issue in other locations as well.
You could look for a different yolk for your 900 as Dacor did change to a wider yolk in there newer models.

You might check with someone (herman?) because it's possible your 900 yoke has a lower working pressure than more modern gear.
Not sure it's related to your problem though.

Last edited:
Sounds like its just a physical issue that the valve on the steel tank was too big for the yoke. I've never had the problem where I couldn't get my regs to fit on a valve, but I've had a difficult time on some. I wouldn't worry about it since you've been able to use the reg over 100 times on other valves. Sounds like you just got an oddball combination. Some reg manufacturers changed their yokes over the years as tank pressures increased. I know, for example, that US Divers started with a 2250 psi yoke and increased the size as the pressure ratings of tanks increased over the years.

The steel tanks that I'm familiar with have pressure ratings of 1800 psi or 2250 psi. In piddling around the internet, I see there are some higher rated tanks and you might be entirely correct that they have larger, or at least differently configured, valves. I'd be curious as to the pressure rating stamped on the tanks. I don't think there were high pressure steel tanks being sold during the time your regulator was manufactured.

Some yokes just won't fit over some bulky valves. I've seen this several times. Other times the yoke will go over, but just can't get a good seal on the o-ring. It's just one of those things and you grab a different tank. One more benefit of DIN regs and valves.

Most LP steel tanks still in use are 2400 psi with a 10% overfill allowed, for a total of 2640. But folks give them cave fills to 3000-3500 all the time. Older HP tanks were 3500 and newer ones are 3442. And there are still some very old steels at 2350 or 2050 or other wacky numbers. There are also a few intermediate 3000 psi steels. It gets very confusing.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the steel tank had a PRO Valve, DIN/Yoke convertible, they are a little deeper and wider than Yoke valves and some of the older yokes are not deep/wide enough to slip over the valve.
i have seen rental AL tanks with Convertible valves. So it may not be just the steel tank.

Assuming that you know the diference between a DIN and a yoke, I'm agreeing with claymore.

This has nothing to do with steel vs aluminum and everything to do with modern convertible valves and out dated regulators. Modern yoke regulators have larger and heavier yokes to accommodate the full range of valves that one may encounter on ALL scuba tanks in use today.

N

Modern yoke regulators have larger and heavier yokes to accommodate the full range of valves that one may encounter on ALL scuba tanks in use today

Not necessarily, I had a brand new Oceanic yoke that fits some valves and not others, I had one valve in particular (232 DIN with the insert, not very old) that was just too bulky to get the yoke over it.

Back
Top Bottom