Relatively inexpensive CO detector setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanutil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just read DandyDon's posting on carbon monoxide risks and protections and wanted to share my relatively inexpensive personal CO solution.

I bought the CO Inspector from www.sensorcon.com for $149. I purchased a DIN to yoke converter for $27, a rubber #3 stopper from Ace Hardware (15/16" base) for $0.95 and some 1/4” OD Tygon tubing $0.25/ft.
I drilled a 5/16" hole in the stopper. Cut 3/8” off the small end of the stopper so that the large stopper end would be almost flush with the yoke. I worked the 1/4" Tygon tube through the stopper hole (it’s a snug fit) by about 3/8" beyond the small stopper end. I then applied Superglue to the tube and retracted the tube to be flush with the small stopper end.
I then just twisted the rubber stopper into the threaded DIN receptacle with a pair of pliers. Viola! It works like a charm. Attach it to a tank, barely crack open the valve and once the air flow feed is minimized attach the tube to the CO Inspector. This setup mitigates the need for plastic bags to capture air and house the detector. This setup yields a working portable relatively inexpensive scuba tank CO detector that is about $200 cheaper than some commercial detectors.

This should make owning your own personal CO detector more affordable.

I have no financial interest in the company and have shared the idea with them. They wondered about a less expensive solution that I had concocted using a rubber sink stopper and tubing but I thought it to be inelegant.

Attachments

• CO Sensor.jpg
    CO Sensor.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 346
Could the whole CO2 scare be blown out of proportions?

Last edited:

CO2 is only a problem with rebreathers. We're talking about CO. With arguably 10 diver deaths worldwide per year, no. The CO scare is not blown out of proportion.

Very interesting, seems to be sensitive enough, waterproof and tough enough for divers and boats !! Thanks for sharing.

Could the whole CO scare be blown out of proportions?
Fixed it for you!

With 14 people on a liveaboard, that I was on, getting CO poisoning, it is a reality in my book.

I spent a lot more for a CO meter that was both portable, could control my compressor and has audible alarms.

A flow restrictor might be a better idea to control how much pressure and volume the CO meter can receive. They don't need much and the OP's design I could see blowing the cap off routinely. Something like this linked below that is a BC connector or even just a restriction of lesser amounts should work.

Expedition BC Flow Restrictor : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment

[url]http://oxycheq.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_7

[/URL]

Since no certifying agency now REQUIRES quarterly testing [though they may never have actually monitored compliance] you are
totally on your own. We routinely do O2 checks when using Nitrox because of safety concerns...CO poisoning can be equally lethal. My life is worth too much to me to leave it up to someone else. A 3-5% chance of a tank being
above 10 ppm is too risky for me.

Isn't the whole scubaboard lawsuit about people ripping on a dive operator after a CO poisoning incident?

Very few people survive carbon monoxide poisoning, if you are still breathing it is off to a chamber as your only hope I believe.

Isn't the whole scubaboard lawsuit about people ripping on a dive operator after a CO poisoning incident?
Yes the sensor can be changed.
I'm not clear what "people ripping on a dive operator" has to do with my post since no one has mentioned a dive operator, but yes a lawsuit did relate to said incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom