Reliable Backup-Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your input!

Isn't the DRIS 1000 too large to store it at a DIR-Harness? I think it's very long...

Does anybody of you have experiences with these:
Dorcy Dive II 220 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light
Penetrater 220 (looks like the dorcy - is it the same light??)
I have the DRIS 500 3c, compared to the big plastic UK or prinston tec's it is pretty compact. I also have two of the 6 aaa dorcy's, one I dive and one I use around the house, they have pproven to be very compact and rugged low cost of operation lights, I tend to actually use the dorcy most often as a primary and the DRIS as the back up.

Isn't the DRIS 1000 too large to store it at a DIR-Harness? I think it's very long...

Not at all. I clip mine off and tuck it in. It's very streamlined and from what I read the very definition of a DIR backup light. Alkaline batteries, bright and focused, simple twist on/off fits the use perfectly. That's how I use mine now that I have a canister light.

DRIS is only full on/off, right?

Do you ever find it too bright or overkill?

I have the Light 4 me backup XML, and the DRIS shorty. Haven't tried the DRIS in the water yet, but it seems to give warmer light, and the beem a bit less tight.
Both are easy to clip to a D-ring. The LFM can be too bright sometimes, on nightdives it makes other lights look like candles...unless there's someone with cannister lights around..

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

DRIS is only full on/off, right?

Do you ever find it too bright or overkill?

Correct, full on/off. The DRIS 1000 is head twist on-off. I got rid of one of my other lights that was tailcap twist on-off. I wanted all my lights to be consistent.

I have not found the DRIS 1000 too bright or overkill from salt water, freshwater in cenotes (caverns), to night diving. If you're thinking the DRIS is overkill, what about divers who use canister lights?

I have one tought ...on backup ... DRIS uses reflector ( which made best performance over lens ) .... but it is also very sensitive on oxidation , fingerprints...( I don't like that if you open backup it decomposes instantly at many parts )

For insctance one interesting detail .... I have mentioned Ammonite led one ... when you open head apart .... head has 3O rings and these O ring but these are also in conical nozzle !

What gives superb tightening. And when fully open head catches first battery with inside O ring .

At the moment I still have SCHULTZ GS35 which is good light with streamdesign , but it nerves me because it has fine thread , one exposed Oring ( when is of is there a little gap between head and body )

and when we have on surface equipment check it always is closed but between dive and between drils it often activate itself ...)

If you look for instance on well known Hesser ( a little overpriced ) which is best over these DIR lights is a insert of ( LED itself + lens ) compact and watertight.

----------------------------------------------------

and IMO best led for BACKUP at the moment ( performance , beam , reliability, consumption ) is Cree XP-G2 ( and not XML and specialy not U2or T6)

I have one tought

I can tell you have an interesting opinion. Unfortunately, with kindest intentions, I think it's lost in translation.

I'm not sure what you mean by the DRIS decomposes into many parts. I've disassembled mine for cleaning and it didn't seem like an excessive number of parts to me.

I think the main problem with the twist on lights is you really have to get in the habit of backing it off a good amount so that pressure won't activate it at depth. Once you get in this habit, it seems fine to me.

I am interested in why you say especially to avoid XM-L T6 and U2 bin emitters. Is the battery runtime too short for your needs? I don't do overhead exploration diving so it's not a concern to me.

Back
Top Bottom