Religion and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not fairy tales to me and to many. I'm not a social researcher and I wouldn't be judging who. Judging people by value systems they don't share is done by virtually all nations and people groups, religious or not. As we can see most any given day in a court of law. Lots of convicts were justified by their own values. Personally, I'm a pretty live and let live guy.

Being one of the engineering, gun-toting, plane flying tech divers like tbone is talking about we generally don't like other folks telling us how we should do things. I am christian, but I don't like most churches for one nearly met my end way to many times and like my relationship to between me and god no need for a middle man. 2ndly my profession has caused me to have to spend alot of time away from my family all because some one some where doesn't like how or what the other guy believes. Don't remember where I heard it but it stuck with me: A man shouldn't try and be a great man he should just try and be a man. There probably isnt a link between diving and religion, but you will find groups that have their own views because divers tend to be curious and regardless of how many times you tell them something will want to do things their way.

I am a Christian. The Bible is the sole book which predicts the future with 100% accuracy. Though many dispute this, none have disproved this. For the Christian believer, Jesus is more than a man 9r a religion. It is a viable two way relationship between a fallen and redeemed man or woman and the Creator of the universe. It is centered in love and self less living that esteem others more highly than oneself. It is predicated on my wickedness having been an unbreachable barrier between God and myself that could only be reconciledone by God coming in the former of man, living a perfect life, and being sacrificed as my atonement. No good effort on my part could ever earn me a right standing with God. Only the blood of Jexus, the risen Son of the only God can purchase redemption for me.

The Bible is the sole book which predicts the future with 100% accuracy. Though many dispute this, none have disproved this.

You can choose to believe what the Bible says about the future, and I can choose not to believe it. As the future remains in a stubborn state of "hasn't happened yet," we both have the same inability to prove whether we are right. Neither of us can state our beliefs as anything more than our own beliefs. The facts will become apparent in time.

The fact that you believe the Bible predicts the future is completely different than whether it actually does.

If you have the same reading of the bible that my father had: "eternal life on earth", then I have bad news for you. It is PROVEN that the earth will dispear one day :).

Though many dispute this, none have disproved this.

Failure to disprove a proposition does not equate to establishing truth. That's a logical fallacy.

I recognise your faith but some things in the bible, if taken literally and subjected to the same absolute logic you suggested above would actually prove that it cannot be the word of God and therefore would invalidate the entire book as being divine.

One such thing was already mentioned. Heaven on earth for all eternity is pretty hard to imagine when we know the earth will eventually be destroyed by our sun as the sun ages and swells up to envelope the inner planets.

The bible was written in a time that allegory was the norm in literature. It has only been in modern times that people seem to have developed this need for it to express absolute truth. Language, literary style and people's thinking has changed but the Bible has not. It remains a product of its time.

Sent from my SM-G3815 using Tapatalk

Oh, come on you guys. The bible's predictions are absolutely bulletproof!

"At some point in the future, there will be earthquakes"

See, it's all true!

I am a Christian. The Bible is the sole book which predicts the future with 100% accuracy. Though many dispute this, none have disproved this. For the Christian believer, Jesus is more than a man 9r a religion. It is a viable two way relationship between a fallen and redeemed man or woman and the Creator of the universe. It is centered in love and self less living that esteem others more highly than oneself. It is predicated on my wickedness having been an unbreachable barrier between God and myself that could only be reconciledone by God coming in the former of man, living a perfect life, and being sacrificed as my atonement. No good effort on my part could ever earn me a right standing with God. Only the blood of Jexus, the risen Son of the only God can purchase redemption for me.
THIS is a great example of why the entire discussion is so silly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom