Relocating - how to transport all tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are moving from New York to Seattle. I have eight tanks to move, 2 sets of steel doubles and 4 singles. My wife just found out that the moving company will not transport them due to weight and "combustible" properties. I can argue that I can drain them of air but canot argue about the weight. Apart from throwing them all in my car and driving across country, are there any other alternatives?

Normally, it's the "compressed gas" issue, not combustibles. If you drain the tanks and remove the valves, then it's no longer a compressed gas cylinder.

As for the weight, contact some local shipping companies and ask how they would ship them. A freight company(semi trucks) might be a better option than DHL, FedEx, etc. Moving companies probably have a lot more restrictions than a freight company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

IMHO moving companies are paid to move stuff not pack it. i.e it is best that the movers do not know what is the box. When I moved I packed all boxes, sealed them, placed my number on them (i.e. no labels like kitchen, bedroom), and then let them move. So for me drain them, pack them, and let them move them.

Thanks for the responses. We offered to drain the tanks and they replied saying they do not have qualified staff to check to see if they still not hazardous. Logical? Not really! I think I can get them shipped by UPS, individually, for about 70-80 bucks which is cheaper than selling and then buying new. Now to find out where to get some strong boxes...

I would drain the tanks and box them so they don’t know what is inside. I guess based on their logic you could not move your shop air compressor because no one is qualified to see that is empty? Do you really think the mover’s pencil pusher on the phone is going to call the guy moving your stuff?
I would choose a new moving company.

I don't think the UPS, FEDEX or USPS person is any more qualified to determine the hazard and they ship them day in and day out as common goods.

I can see where they should require them to be drained and packaged so they can be controlled. At worst, with the valve off, packed and bagged with some desiccant a spin of a whip at the other end is probably worst case.

I kind of like the idea of embedding them in cartons of household goods but the density will still feel funky when lifted and that could backfire.

I'd escalate it at the moving company, weight of a #35 pound item or even the doubles if you don't break them should be trivial to movers from a logistics standpoint.

About the only thing I can see entertaining is a reasonable density surcharge. Taken to an extreme, if you had a whole van full of these the load, fuel etc would be noteworthy.

If you have a lot of low density stuff, like a big feather collection you may want to have that information handy as a put and take.

Pete

If you're not committed to this moving company, maybe look for a new one and tell the other one why. And probably don't tell the new one what's in your boxes, you know it's not hazardous.

That is BS and your moving company needs some education. I had scuba tanks moved all over the world by moving companies when I was active duty. If you still have issues go to the people that perform your Hydros and have them remove the valves and certify the tanks empty with an official state seal. Then give them a copy of the Transportation CFR and tell them to learn something.

And what Damselfish said.

Who is paying the movers?

Thanks for the responses. We offered to drain the tanks and they replied saying they do not have qualified staff to check to see if they still not hazardous. Logical? Not really! I think I can get them shipped by UPS, individually, for about 70-80 bucks which is cheaper than selling and then buying new. Now to find out where to get some strong boxes...

That's nuts! Find a freight company, pile and secure the drained tanks on a pallet, and send them as forklift freight. Should be less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom