Remaining MV Spree/flower garden trips canceled for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I commend your spirit, but be advised you've got maybe a 10% chance of a spring trip making it, the weather will usually be too crappy. That being said, I finally lucked out and caught a successful 04/07 trips and saw some schooling hammerheads...but this was after a number of unsuccessful 'spring' attempts over prior years...just a word of caution to keep it real.

Duly noted. I'll aim for spring and keep pushing back as necessary. It only requires me to take a half day from work so I can be fliexible and go when I get a green light... to quote my mother, "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape." [I know - I hated hearing it too when I was a kid.]

Thanks Mack. I completely agree. Tom's does and will continue to promote diving the Flower Gardens and using the Fling. As for diving becoming an elitist sport, I completely disagree. I am not a rich person but I continue to dive and I continue to travel. It is a matter of priorities. If your priorities have changed, then diving far off destinations may not be in the cards but that does not mean it couldn't be. I teach many, many divers who are in no way rich and who still plan trips. I am also involved with the travel industry and have seen the statistics that show people are still traveling and still diving so you cannot convince me it is changing to just be a rich person's activity. It is all about priorities...

Layne

Hi Layne,

...maybe you should read a recent copy of 'Undercurrent', specifically the January 2008 issue, and see the article on page 15, "Diving, The Rich Person's Sport".....it makes some interesting observations and highlights some interesting industry/demographic trends.

Karl

Rich Man's Sport?

Man, I'm in TROUBLE. I'm a public school teacher!!!

But then, I'm using gear that is about eight years old, my computer cost a whoppin' $150, and I shop around for the best deals in dive travel, often booking spartan accomodations in order to maximize my diving dollar. I plan on continuing to participate in this "rich man's sport", but I'll have to play by my financial rules.

Good post Cpt. Frank good luck on the island its hard to believe how bad it got hammered. I have three friends who completely lost their houses (all on Crystal Beach). I have not had a chance to talk to my Galveston PD/SO dive team buddies yet - hopefully they will recover.

I think that it is cool that you and Mel are supporting the recovery effort - that hurricane was headed right for Freeport just a day before it turned towards Galveston. The Spree and Fling and the rest of the bunch in Freeport could have easily been in the same shape as those shrimp boats and charter boat..... Let me know if I can help you out in any way.

Rumor has it that the Senior Sea Chicken slept in his horse collar BC during Ike - just in case... He was going to take his scooter for a ride in the ship channel!

I am going to try and make one in early 2009 - need to get the hammerhead fix....

Did you get the shirts I sent? (and purple duck tape for Mel)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom