Removing Smoke Smell from Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Threadhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First post!

Bought a used Atomic B2 and SSI this weekend. Great condition, breathes great. Taking it to LDS for complete checkout before diving with it.

The only downside was the previous owner was a smoker, so it has a bit of smokey stink. I'm throwing out the mouthpiece AND low pressure hose. I know not to use an ozone generator as some plastics may weaken.But I'm not sure of the best, safe method to help reduce the smell. Here are my ideas:
  • Soak in diluted vinegar bath for 24h. Maybe I should remove the internals first?
  • Soak in baking soda bath for 24h.
  • Place in sealed container with dry baking soda, a few days.
  • Place in sealed container with activated charcoal, a few days.
  • Place in sealed container with baking soda AND activated charcoal for a few days.
  • Soak in a solution of Sent Killer (enzyme wash used for hunting clothing) for a couple of hours.
Regardless of the method, I was thinking of using a Magic Eraser to very lightly wipe down all the parts.

I want to be safe and not harm anything. Opinions Please!

OdoBan® - Home

Makes my biohazzard wetsuit wearable again. Good luck.

Jay

Thanks Jay. Read the MSDS and not sure about using OdoBan on equipment you breathe with. But a great idea for other items!

The mouth piece should always be trashed. It is cheaper to buy them online than at the lds. If the low pressure hose is fine you do not need to replace it. The air from the tank has no smoke in it. I do not like any of the methods you suggest. I would either soak the second stage in distilled water or distilled water with some dish soap. Disconnect the first stage so the water doesn't back up into it. The smoke smell may be on the diaphragm or the exhaust valve not the case. If you are sending these regs to a dive shop for service I would talk to them about the problem.

Thanks ams511. Dropped them off at the LDS service to have a full overhaul (which I assume will be to replace the diaphragm) and he told me to soak everything it in diluted SimpleGreen. Not sure I buy that.

@Threadhead

I do not recommend simple green because it imparts a bad smell if not diluted enough. There is a clear simple green which supposedly does not smell but I never used it. So I don't know for sure.

The golden rule when dealing with scuba regulators is to use the least aggressive method first. That is why I recommended the distilled water or distilled water with dish soap. That is what many scuba manufacturers recommend for plastic parts. Vinegar or baking soda may react with plastic damaging it. For metal parts you can use a vinegar bath but NEVER for 24 hours. Acid eats chrome, I would not use it for more than 15 minutes checking every few minutes.

In a normal rebuild a diaphragm and exhaust valve only gets changed if damaged. However the tech should clean them with whatever he uses for plastics.

Thanks ams511. Dropped them off at the LDS service to have a full overhaul (which I assume will be to replace the diaphragm) and he told me to soak everything it in diluted SimpleGreen. Not sure I buy that.
I would clarify with your LDS about what's included. Typical overhauls do not include new diaphragms and mouthpieces are hit and miss.

Some manufacturers do include a new 2nd stage exhaust valve in each service kit, Mares for one. No idea about Atomic kits.
Any 2nd stage diaphragms and mouthpieces are only ever replaced on a rare "as needed basis".
(side note: 1st stage diaphragms are also not consistent across manufacturers. Some replace with each overhaul, some are "as needed.")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom