rental equipment + Cobra inline computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallasM5

Reaction score
Obviously, new to diving and the only initial piece of equipment I'm planning on buying is a computer.

I was looking at the Cobra, but my concern is how easy/difficult is it to connect up to rental equipment on dive boats? Are they receptive to this, or do they insist that you use their gauges if you rent equipment?

I know these are VERY newbie questions, but I don't want to drop $450 on the computer if I have to buy all the rest of the gear to use it.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I would buy the air delivery first (regulator, octo, BC inflator hose, pressure, depth, compass). You probably will have some questions/funny looks and maybe some problems when you are switching out their gauges to your Cobra. My opinion is to either get an air delivery first, or get a stand alone wrist computer like the vyper...

IMO...

We had someone turn up with a Vytec computer, complete with the transmitter. He wanted to fit the transmitter to one of our rental regs and we're pretty easy going, so we let him.

I'm not sure other dive companies would feel the same way, especially in more litigious areas. If you remove and replace the high pressure hose, someone from the dive company has to check the reg afterwards to make sure you've put it back together correctly. My guess is that most companies will tell you not to mess with their gear.

Personally, I thought it was kind of strange to spend money on an air-integrated computer when he didn't have a reg to integrate it with. YMMV, though.

Zept

You should buy your reg and bc first in my opinion. You can alway take your own equipment with you on vacation, minus the cylinders.

I have the cobra computer and really enjoy using it. I was lucky enough to be able to buy all my gear at once. If I had not been able to, getting the computer would have been the last item I would have purchased.

If I was going to purchase a computer first I would make it a stand alone wrist type. Easy to carry on travel and no hookups. It will give you all the info you need and save a few dollars toward your own reg set-up or BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom