rented out of date tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadfordr6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Rented two tanks from a reputable dive shop, went to get them refilled after first dive and found out one was out of hydro...by like 4 years, but was up to date on its visual :icon5: , so what i want to know is how unsafe was that tank, and how mad shoudl i be when i go in to return it later today?

According to the laws in our country (Canada) it is illegal to fill or transport a scuba cylinder that has not had a current hydro test. Whoever noticed the hydro before filling it deserves your admiration for their diligence. I would not be mad but would point out to the lds who rented these tanks that if this is a reflection of care and attention they give to their life support equipment they should not consider you as a customer. (make sure you get your refund before you get on the soapbox though)

BTW: checking for hydro date is like step 2 of a visual inspection so I would question the validity of the VIP sticker as well.

So much for reputable

Thanks for posting that, good lesson there.

I sure hope they refunded your rental fee. Especially if it shortened your day of diving!

wedivebc:
BTW: checking for hydro date is like step 2 of a visual inspection so I would question the validity of the VIP sticker as well.

Just checked my PSI book..... it is step 1.

wedivebc is right. It is illegal for a dive shop to fill an out-of-hydro tank. period.

Ontario Diver:

wedivebc is right. It is illegal for a dive shop to fill an out-of-hydro tank. period.

thanks for the replies guys...one more question, i rented an entire gear kit from them, should i expect a refund for all of it, or just the tank rental...i guess how big a deal is this?

chadfordr6:
thanks for the replies guys...one more question, i rented an entire gear kit from them, should i expect a refund for all of it, or just the tank rental...i guess how big a deal is this?
Just my .02$:
Huge deal, up here if you are nabbed transporting or filling out-of-inspection tanks it results in BIG fines (5 digits if I remember correctly). The shop put you in the position of being exposed to those penalties.
This is a recurring nightmare in paintball with people ordering 5KPsi fiber tanks from the US over the Internet. 2/3 of the tanks have no TC numbers on them and the local fields get the fine if the they are caught filling them. I remember the fines being big enough to put people out of business.
WM

Ontario Diver:

Sorry, step 1 is where you get the credit card info :wink: . Was just going on memory here so you're probably right.

chadfordr6:
As others have mentioed it is a great BIG deal. I would ask for a full refund on all kit. Since you were unable to complete your planned dives due to not having a SAFE cylinder the rental gear (which is now suspect) was not good to you either.
Yes go for a refund. If he gives you any grief post the LDSs name here just to make sure no one from scubaboard gets burned by them.

You didn't disclose your location, which makes a BIG difference.
Down here in the US a hydro is needed only if the bottle is used in interstate transport. "Technically" a person can even weld up their own tanks out of junkyard scrap & be legal, assuming they could find someone with a compressor nuts enough to fill it.

chadfordr6:

Full Refund! The LDS could be paying quite a bit more than the profit made on that rental.

Back
Top Bottom