Repair Sea and Sea VX1000 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
During one of my dives in St. Croix, the housing developed a leak. It didn't flood but about half a cup of water got in it. The camera it'self seems fine but the electronic controls on the housing namely standby, start/ stop and zoom do not work. Standby will turn it off but not back on and the other controls do nothing. Is there a Sea and Sea repair shop here in Houston?

Hubby buys you a new toy and you go out and flood it? :)

For service information please contact one of the following Sea & Sea authorized warranty and service centers:

Sub Aquatic Camera Repair Company
22740 Portola Drive
Salinas, CA 93908
(831) 484-6233
www.subaquaticcamera.com

In Depth Camera Repair
731 Colorodo Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524
(970) 224-1071

Underwater Camera Repair
10044 SW 221 Street
Miami, FL 33190
(305) 234-0903
www.underwatercamerarepair.com

Underwater Photo Tech
16 Manning Street, Suite #104
Derry, NH 03038
(603) 432-1997
www.uwphoto.com

Island Photo-Video Center
Located at the El Cid La Ceiba Hotel
Cozumel, Mexico
(011-52-987) 872-5833
www.photocozumel.com

Island's probably got bigger problems post-Wilma...

sjspeck:
Hubby buys you a new toy and you go out and flood it? :)

Well at least it wasn't on the very first dive. I shipped the housing off to www.subaquaticcamera.com this afternoon. The other ships said they couldn't get parts for it. Just wish I knew where the leak came from. The main o-ring seemed fine, the lens port rings and the monitor port ring I hadn't opened up after sealing it sunday night. Either it was due for internal ring replacements or I have to lube every o-ring every day.

Unfortunately these small leaks can just come and go with just about any housing and it's often almost impossible to detect where it came from. The best you can do is service all the o-rings and try again.

In the past when I've had a persistent dribble inside my housings I've fitted a piece of cellulose sponge (as used for washing dishes) under the camera. It's not a long-term solution but water absorbed into that is much less dangerous than water sloshing around inside the housing. For some reason an older, well-used piece of sponge seems to be more absorbant than a new piece. You could try it for your first dive back with the repaired housing.

Nick

THanks for the idea. An electrical engineer friend of mine at work told me about this stuff called waterguard that is much more effective than silica. I'm considering getting some for all my housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom