replacement advice for a Galileo Sol computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgranto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I lost my ScubaProd/Uwatec Galileo Sol off the coast of Fort Lauderdale in about 70' of water... The stupid rubber wrist strap tore and I did not notice it until I hit bottom - severe current prevented me from finding it.

I have to admit that wireless was nice, but 50% of my dives have a brief period where the signal got lost (it always re-acquired). As a result, I am thinking I would prefer to go back to an air-integrated console unit and would like some recommendations. Here are the things I want:

1. Air-integrated is non-negotiable.
2. Easy to use for deco diving. I often do enough dives in a day, or dive deep enough, to have to decompress. The computer HAS to be able to handle deco dives well.
3. I prefer a console, but if someone really has a better recommendation than the Sol in wireless, and it has a better strap, I would love to hear about it.
4. Liberal to mid-level of conservativeness. Definitely nothing by Suunto - I really liked the ScubaPro/Uwatec levels of conservativeness.
5. Electronic transfer of dives to a computer. I used SmartTRAK with the Sol and my previous Smart Com, which used infrared. BlueTooth would be awesome.
6. Easy to configure/use. I found the Sol very easy to use, much better than the Smart Com or my old Aladin.
7. Easy to read display - I am over 45 and now use glasses for reading. The Sol was on the edge of what I could read on my wrist (I had it configured for Advanced display and was about to try the basic display before I lost it...).

I usually dive with air, but want Nitrox ability. I primarily dive the ocean but occasionally the springs. All open water, but sometimes dive deep (120+). I very much appreciate the feedback. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Given your list of requirements, the Atomic Cobalt 2 is the way to go. AI console, excellent OLED display, U/I almost as good as the Shearwaters (more intuitive in some ways, less flexible in others…latter may or may not be remedied by some tech/advanced user mode about which they've been making half-hearted noises for years), and excellent for deco diving.

There have been SNAFUs with Cobalts since day one, but my experience was they were rare and Atomic made them very easy to fix: call the factory direct, send it back, have it back in my hands free of charge in less than a week -- which is the least I expect when a $1200 computer stops working because someone screwed up the sealing face of the battery compartment, or failed to coat ferrous magnets correctly, or the entire computer literally imploded at 190'…but they were very good about it. And obviously there are lemons in any brand's offerings.

Thanks for the replies. I looked up the Atomic Cobalt 2 and it looks very nice. I also found the Aeris A300 CS OLED, which seems nice if I want to consider another wrist unit. I am trying to dig up comparisons between the Cobalt 2 and the A300 CS OLED, but have not had much luck. I will search the boards to see what I can find.

Thanks again.

I have a Sherwood Wisdom console computer and love it. Had several others before this one but like this the best. Large numbers that are easy to read, will do nitrox, and will do deco dives as we do them quite often off the coast of NC. Can easily replace the battery yourself. The wife and I probably have 800 or so total dives on ours and never a single problem. Like them so much I bought a new one off e-bay at a great price just to have one on dive trips as a back-up in case one has a problem. You should give it a look.

As a final part of this thread... A friend just showed me this web page. Looks like they are using tech similar to Liquivision, but at a much cheaper price-point. The computer is not yet out, but I will watch for the reviews.

Aqwary

I like my shearwater petrel easy to use.

I lost my ScubaProd/Uwatec Galileo Sol off the coast of Fort Lauderdale in about 70' of water... The stupid rubber wrist strap tore and I did not notice it until I hit bottom - severe current prevented me from finding it.

I have to admit that wireless was nice, but 50% of my dives have a brief period where the signal got lost (it always re-acquired). As a result, I am thinking I would prefer to go back to an air-integrated console unit and would like some recommendations. Here are the things I want:

2. Easy to use for deco diving. I often do enough dives in a day, or dive deep enough, to have to decompress. The computer HAS to be able to handle deco dives well.
3. I prefer a console, but if someone really has a better recommendation than the Sol in wireless, and it has a better strap, I would love to hear about it.
4. Liberal to mid-level of conservativeness. Definitely nothing by Suunto - I really liked the ScubaPro/Uwatec levels of conservativeness.
5. Electronic transfer of dives to a computer. I used SmartTRAK with the Sol and my previous Smart Com, which used infrared. BlueTooth would be awesome.
6. Easy to configure/use. I found the Sol very easy to use, much better than the Smart Com or my old Aladin.
7. Easy to read display - I am over 45 and now use glasses for reading. The Sol was on the edge of what I could read on my wrist (I had it configured for Advanced display and was about to try the basic display before I lost it...).

I usually dive with air, but want Nitrox ability. I primarily dive the ocean but occasionally the springs. All open water, but sometimes dive deep (120+). I very much appreciate the feedback. Thanks for your time!

2. Easy to use for deco diving.

Seeing these two requirements together is pretty unusual! :)

Not criticizing, if that's what you want, then that's what you should get. But air-integrated computers are rare in tech circles.

If you ever decide that you can do without AI (especially WAI, which I also have found to be unreliable) and want a good computer for executing dive with deco stops, then the Petrel is awesome. VERY readable for older eyes, great customer support, built like a tank, very configurable display, bluetooth transfer works well, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom