Report: El Nido voted #8 best GREEN hotel around the world!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bisugo767

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I found this article in the Sunday (Jan. 13, 2008) issue of the Vancouver Sun newspaper. I will condense it for you guys:

Here are the best green hotels around the world from Travel + Leisure Magazine, which partnered with Conservation International to assess properties:

#8. El Nido Resorts, Philippines
"Guest cottages on stilts are set above the crystalline ocean. The resorts are active in both reef and island conservation."

Here is a quick run down of the other resorts and their contributions to being 'green'. Note that most of them highlight practical 'green' solutions that, really, don't cost that much money to implement.

1. Spice Islands Beach Resort, Grenada
Green highlight: Solar-heated water, energy-saving compact fluorescents, and the pool is treated with salt instead of chlorine.

2. Soneva Fushi Resort, Maldives
...pledged to cut its greenhouse gas emissions in half by next year and achieve carbon neutrality by 2010.

3. Heritance Kandalama, Sri Lanka
"When viewed from afar, Heritance Kandalana resembles an ancient temple grown wild with disuse. In fact, the vegetation and location have nothing to do with neglect and everything to do with ensuring that rainwater flowing from the hills collects in the hotel's reservoir below."

4. Voyages Latitude 131, Australia
Solar-heated showers...

5. Tiamo, Bahamas
this solar-powered, 11-bungalow hideaway...uses less electricity per month than one average american household.

6. Whitepod, Switzerland
"Set in the Swiss Alps near Aigle, the nine Buckminster Fuller-inspired geodesic domes may be electricity-free but they keep things cosy with plush organic bedding, sheepskin throws and fireplaces fuelled with sustainably harvested wood."

7. Devil's Thumb Ranch, Colorado
"Sixteen airy cabins..and..lodge..all heated and cooled entirely with fireplaces and geothermal energy. ..owner has limited their development to only 1% of the land, leaving the rest free for guests-and elk, moose, bears and beavers-to roam.

9. Chumbe Island, Coral Park, Tanzania
...marine protected area, ...roof-top rain-water collection system and solar-powered lights ... and airy bungalows.

10. Adere Amellal, Egypt
"With its wall built using rock salt and mud, doors and windows placed to catch the desert breeze, and oil lamps and candles lighting the corridors each night,... And, it helps fund and support numerous community projects."

BabyD, your Panay Exporers could be next...keep up the good work!

lol. for Php14k/person/night, they ought to have enough revenue to cover for the costs of being green.

:rofl2:

Atlantis has solar heated hot water in both resorts, can we get the No4 spot as well? Or do you think there might be other requirements to make the list :wink:

Matt, nice to know that Atlantis has solar-heated hot water. Another small step towards being 'green'. If you guys can afford solar power, solar cells must have gone down in cost already. Atlantis might not even get a scratch at #101 position not because Atlantis is no good. In fact, I feel Atlantis is my kind of resort (and it is already in my list of 'must visit' so I might be seeing you on early 2009). I did a brief research of Travel and Leisure Magazine on the web (Travel + Leisure Magazine | Vacation guides, travel articles, hotel recommendations, and deals) and found out that their magazine is aimed at readers who go for the ultra-high class resorts such as Amanpulo and El Nido. Definitely not in the league of Atlantis but I am sure there are other publications more suitable for your market.:) Keep up the good work!

Atlantis has solar heated hot water in both resorts, can we get the No4 spot as well? Or do you think there might be other requirements to make the list :wink:

I did not know that. Thanks for that information Matt. Do you know what company provided and installed the solar heating system?

maybe you need a good u/w photo-video guy in your staff too...

i know this bald canadian guy, he's currently in bali...

Jag

uh oh....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom