Report - First Dives in Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my son and I are going to do a couple of dives, just under 40 feet at point lobos. he's a 10 year old jr. open water diver with 10 dives in maui plus his pool dives. will we freeze in 7mm suits with hoods,gloves and boots? were coming down from alaska, but were not polar bears

what type of exposure suit did you use in your dives? I'm drysuit certified but my son is ten and we haven't been able to find a rental suit that will fit him yet. were planning 30 minute dives to about 40 feet max.( jr open water diver limits) in late december. 7mm suits with dry hoods, boots and gloves, thinking cannery wall and middle reef?

trent/austin:
If you can find some hooded vests, mine is a 5mm hooded vest, it adds some extra core thermal protection. I do dive with a 7 mm wetsuit, but with a 5 mm hooded vest and a 1 mm shorty dive skin thing underneath. I wouldn't worry about the 1 mm thing, but you and your son may be more comfortable with a bit more protection. Bring dry clothes too, to change into after you're done. I've been told you can put hot water into a big container and use that inbetween dives to get some hot water down your suit, may want to bring a thermos of hot chocolate with you as well. Hope you both have a great time, Happy Holidays!

If you can find him a 7mm suit, hood, etc. you'll be fine for the depth/exposure you're shooting for. A lot of people dive the carmel side in wetsuits.

in south central alaska the water is best suited for diving in winter; water clarity can approach 70-100 feet at times. unfortunately the temperature is around 35 degrees. a little bit of an ice cream headache on entry! Looking forward to water near the 50 degree range.

If you can find him a 7mm suit, hood, etc. you'll be fine for the depth/exposure you're shooting for. A lot of people dive the carmel side in wetsuits.

Funny you mention that. I just went diving today with a group of people at Lobos. One was wearing a semi-dry wetsuit on our 50 minute 120fsw dive to Betos and back, and she managed to tough it out. Water was 52F at depth and 54F in the shallows.

trent/austin:
I've been told you can put hot water into a big container and use that inbetween dives to get some hot water down your suit, may want to bring a thermos of hot chocolate with you as well.

Use warm water, not hot water. Pouring hot water in a wetsuit will hurt. (Don't ask me how I know. :wink: ) The main point is to pre-fill your suit with water so you don't get a rush of cold seawater at the start of your dive. Drinking something warm between dives also helps restore core warmth. I use both tricks.

I routinely dive Lobos in a 7mm wetsuit with a 5/3 hooded vest. Usually two dives for close to 2 hours total dive time (max depth of 90', but average around 50'). I often feel cold by the end of each dive, especially if temperatures have been much below 50°.

Do be more careful with your son. His smaller body mass will cause his core temp to drop much faster than yours. If you feel cold, you probably should be getting him out of the water.

Also cover up during your surface interval. Evaporative cooling will drop his temperature even more.

Funny you mention that. I just went diving today with a group of people at Lobos. One was wearing a semi-dry wetsuit on our 50 minute 120fsw dive to Betos and back, and she managed to tough it out. Water was 52F at depth and 54F in the shallows.

That's a nice, warm dive for Lobos. :redhot: Especially for that depth. Wish I were there. :)

Back
Top Bottom