Report on Grand Cayman Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B.Goodwill:
Casey,

Where did you launch to get out west side? I was supposed to be doing the underwater video thing today but because the cruise ships could not off load the visiting tourists there was no one to video. I spoke to some of the guys at RedSail and they have been launching from somewhere around whats left of the old south sound dock, but their resident rates are a little pricey, and they are doing two shallow dives rather than a wall then shallow.

The water seems to be calming down, hopefully will be out Friday and Saturday.

Not too sure when My Bar will open again, i think they are still working on it.
Hey BG~ We launched from the dock up at the West Bay Bight... up near the Turtle Farm. It tends to smooth out up that way quicker than downtown sometimes.
Was out today and launched from Calico Jack's/ Public Beach. A little swelly but not bad. And the viz was much better today than yesterday.

The snorkling in GC is the best I've ever done. I went off of 7 mile accross from the Mariott...wouldn't think there was much going on over there cuz of all the people...but it was AMAZING. Schools of Tangs that would let me follow them, a 4 foot long parrot/wrasse (can't remember which species just that it had a hell of a beak), ocotpus (think I just got lucky with this one), puffers, etc. Honestly, I had as much fun snorkling as I did diving. Best of luck!

nipi:
BG - night dive tonight off Mariners (formerly) or Prospect Reef. Followed by recompression at Country & Western - always a winning formula.

Nipi, what is the reef like off Mariners? How far out is the wall, and what depth does it start at? I was thinking of heading out there for a shore dive, i thought it would be especially interesting after Ivan, i imagine you would come accross a few cars etc.

When you geta chance i would be interested to hear what its like, and whether or not you think it would be worth it as a shore dive.

Cheers - Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom