Request info on Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue hole,glovers and snorkel shark ray alley(better than the dive),snorkelling at night with your light close to shore around any reef areas is pretty nice.

I was in Ambergris Caye 2/04. I dove and snorkeled with a local guy, Tulu, who was great. He took just 4 of us snorkeling all day and just myself diving. He will go anywhere you want. His phone number is available on the forum board at www.ambergriscaye.com. He does operate on 'island time' so make sure you contact him upon arrival. They had strikes when we were there and they shut off the water and or electricity. One day the water was shut off for over 8 hours (...no bathrooms on the island). They had a recent phone strike. Many good places to eat, easy to get into town by foot of golf cart. The locals are friendly. I believe crime is becoming more of a problem there. A robbery was attempted on the beach in front of our resort (Exotic Caye) at 7 or 8 at night. A night watchman was recently murdered. No swimming from shore due to sea grass. Perfect weather -not too hot

We were down there in Feb /05 . absolutly loved it.
Stayed 1 week at the Mayan Princess in Ambergrise Caye. Kind of just a hotel room with kitchen but nice and clean. You get to get your food from around town . Best BBQ chicken and fresh tortias at the tortia factory.
We dove with Amigo's Del Mar . Very friendly and since we were 6 we got our own boat most every day. Chased Spotted eagle rays out at the fingers ( 5 min away) and fed the nurse sharks just over from there. We dove the BH in their big cruiser ( 48ft if I remember right) a very nice comfortable ride considering its a 2.5 hr rideout. The Blue hole was great with huge stalagtites and grey Reef sharks following us up.
For the second week we rented a private house in Placencia. A very clean and friendly little town. Didnt do any diving , just lounged around and enjoyed the people and sun.
I think I can safely say its the first of many trips down there.

hopefulist:
Glover's Atoll is AMAZING.

I just read a review of Glover's in UnderCurrent. Sounded like a pretty nice place, but very spartan with regards to amenities.

I just got back from Turneffe Island Lodge and can't say enough about it. I've got a post of my dive report if you want to read up on it in this same forum....last month.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=108390

Staying at Glover's Atoll is barely a step up from camping, with shallow pit toilets, no electricity, no showers. We did all our own cooking on a small kerosene stove and had a fabulous time there, but it's not for everyone. The price is unbeatable: $100 for camping, $150 for a dorm bed, or $200 for a cabaña per person per week which includes the 40 mile boat trip out and back - diving and kayak rentals extra. Glad you enjoyed Turneffe, of interest to my husband, too, who is an avid flyfisherman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom