Requesting information on dives sites served by Anthony's Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey_Wulff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're off to Anthony's Keys in just a little under 60 days - awesome!

I understand from previous posts that if you're interested in the dolphin experience the snorkeling package is better than the dive package? Anyone disagree?

Can anyone give us a little more information on the dive sites? Which sites are the best? Can you make requests where to go or do the boats run pretty much the same schedule. Is the shore diving from the resort good at night?

We would appreciate any information to help with our preparation.

Grey_Wulff

Grey_Wulff:
I understand from previous posts that if you're interested in the dolphin experience the snorkeling package is better than the dive package? Anyone disagree?

Not me. That's the deal as far as I have seen it.

Can anyone give us a little more information on the dive sites? Which sites are the best? Can you make requests where to go or do the boats run pretty much the same schedule.

There is no "best". Everyone has a subjective opinion and has good and bad days/dives. They're all nice. How can we think to know what to request unless one had seen it previously? There is a set schedule. There are certain times and days that specific boats are scheduled for the overly anticipated Mary's Place.

Go to Roatan and with perfect buoyancy and observation skills, follow the DM closely as he points out the micro critters that Roatan is best known for. Avoid the temptation to gawk at Groupers. Demand that your DM find SeaHorses and Pipe Fish. Show you the Arrow Blennies and the Pedersen Shrimp. Find the small stuff! That's why you go to the Bay Islands.

Is the shore diving from the resort good at night?

Absolutely. One caveat- the entry, access and navigation isn't as simple as some other Roatan resorts, but it's always a kick! The weather may dictate that you not dive in the open reef/ocean- the North side can be a little rough upon occasion. May 20th or so (60 days?) is a nice time of year, the full moon comes May 18 and the seas are usually calming.

I was at Anthonies last July and had a blast, we were with a group of 12 and just had a blast! The diving was pretty good. As Roatan Man says wach for the macro stuff, trust me by the end of the week you will be sick of over fed groupers. The shore dive was really great off of the back of the key too! It was easy to get to it and well marked. I suggest that if you are antisipating it to start getting dark when you surface to float a safety sausage with a glow stick attached to it to the line on the bottom (you will be breifed on what that is before you go), and that will give you a guide back to the guide line if it's starts to get dark and you lose your way. The navigation coming in is sort of tricky as there are a few feef canyons to choose from. I did the dophin dive and two other from the group did the snokel and from the sounds of it I wish I would have done the swim. On the dive all you did was go down and the dolphins would sort of swim by from time to time. The the instructor sort of held them under themselves and you could put them. But the snorkel the dolphins were always right there. But have a blast and report back what you think!

Back
Top Bottom