Rescue unconscious CCR diver

Were you required to rescue an unconscious CCR diver during your CCR training?

• Yes

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently crossed a diver over to the SF2. This individual had over 350 hours on CCR and the crossover was quite a joy, especially because the confined water portion was filled with green sea and loggerhead turtles. While running through the skills, when it came time to do a rescue of an unconscious CCR diver, he told me he never had to do that in his previous training.

Question: How many of you were taught to rescue an unconscious CCR diver during your CCR training?

Follow-up question: Did your instructor cover various scenarios, including risks associated with tonic/clonic seizures from hyperoxia, PO2 drop / risk of flooding your and/or victim loop, etc? What was covered?

Yes, entry level rEvo class required it.

Yes, but it's not something I practice nearly enough.

Yes, but it's not something I practice nearly enough.
Suddenly I'm scared to be your buddy!

...we talked about the various guys ccr he had brought up and in water just did a 'generic' scenario, on loop and off loop. Not flooded loop for logistics, but acted a response pattern for that as well.

Cameron

...we talked about the various guys ccr he had brought up and in water just did a 'generic' scenario, on loop and off loop. Not flooded loop for logistics, but acted a response pattern for that as well.

Cameron

I do not follow....??

I do not follow....??

Here's a rewrite: during my basic training there was a couple hours of storytelling and discussion about the various reasons and ways to bring up (or out) an unconscious ccr diver. Mostly drawn from his experience and encouraged by my crisis response background.

During the in water training we practiced 3 scenarios. Bringing up an unconscious ccr diver off loop, on loop and simulated a flooded loop (negative without managing loop volume).

Ok, cool. Thanks for clarifying.

I did this on both mod1 and mod2. On my mod1 my OC buddy got a lesson in lifting a CCR diver too.

I did this on both mod1 and mod2. On my mod1 my OC buddy got a lesson in lifting a CCR diver too.

If your buddy was OC how did you practise bringing up an unconscious CCR diver?

If your buddy was OC how did you practise bringing up an unconscious CCR diver?
We both practiced on the instructor. There were three of us in the water. Since I largely dive with OC people it Is nice if the odd one has practiced this. I have a plan to run some more practice sessions when I can make the planets line up appropriately.

Another datapoint. On a BSAC Advanced Diver training session I was on recently a CCR diver did the rescue parts CCR. I had wimped out and did them OC.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom