rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Took the Rescue course in spring of last year, but that's as close as I intend on getting to the professional side. I found the course very helpful when it comes to reducing stress load and can now identify stress loading on new divers pre-dive........when it makes a difference.

As for the professional side of diving, I'm here for the fun of meeting new people and diving with people I have come to trust over the years. I already have two kids at home and have no desire to be a babysitter which I think DM and instructing can be about.

We have been on some really nice wrecks in the last few years and heard groans from DM's and instructors burdened with students.

So be honest, I have big shoulders.....is this a selfish attitude

:confused:

selfish ?
ide say no but it depends on the way that u feal about it !
being an instructor isnt for everybody not everyone can teach
it takes something really different and must be a people person

Originally posted by voodoogas_diver Took the Rescue course in spring of last year, but that's as close as I intend on getting to the professional side.... I already have two kids at home and have no desire to be a babysitter which I think DM and instructing can be about.....is this a selfish attitude :confused:

I'm making an assumption you're asking if this is a selfish attitude.

Nope, not at all.

Going Pro is a big decision. One you have to recognize the extra responsibilities that come with it.

Babysitter - I've never felt that way. I've thought my self as a sometimes a mentor, sometimes just someone who "knows a wee bit more" than the average diver (even though as any pro will tell you we have to learn a lot more). I try to place myself as the person that is having so much fun, the student wants to have just as much fun.

You are not alone, I'm in the same dive boat with you. I dive because I enjoy it and the people I meet. I have also considered DM but came to the conclusion that at this time, I really wanted to just dive. Don't get me wrong, I like helping new divers and often do, but there are times I want to dive to my level or my plan and that does not include keeping a very close eye on a new diver. I respect the people who do instruct and DM, most do it because they enjoy it (sure isn't for the money)and if they enjoy doing it, more power to them . For me, at this time, I am going to dive and enjoy myself. Who knows, maybe in the future I will change my mind, but for now, what I want to do is become a better diver for me, my buddies and if I change my mind, my students. If you are in the area and need a buddy, look me up.

My instructor (and friend/dive buddy) for the last 5 years keeps bugging me to become a DM because I have more experience than most of the DMs at the shop he works through.

He wants me to DM for him because he knows exactly what my skills are as he taught me many of them and he knows he can trust me in the water.

I keep telling him no. I have no interest in teaching. Even though I have been told that I am an excelent teacher when I do get dragged into it kicking and screaming, I just don't enjoy it at all. I don't like speaking in front of groups of people I don't know well and am a complete disaster at doing homework (prepairing lesson plans, etc...)

I honestly don't think I would give the effort that students need/deserve from a good DM.

I am taking my DM class right now. I'm not real interested in being a "pro" but I enjoy working with the new divers and taking them on local trips. I don't intend to do on a full time basis. It is nice because I get to decide when and where and with who I dive with. The open water weekends are a little tough but the intructor I work with makes sure the DM's have some fun as well as the students. I find that it keeps me more active in diving. The only downside is the liability. With lawsuits as common as they are I have to be careful. It really sucks that I can be sued for just being in the same ocean with someone even if I'm not diving with them.

Scott

I hold a PADI divemaster rating..

But my real passion is diving 150 - 200 coldwater dives a year...Deep Dark scary shipwrecks. I'd say VOODOO_GASdiver that you are not being selfish That's why I became a technical diver it is far more interesting for me!:D

But I try to lend a hand whenever possible so don't feel ashamed.. Teaching is sometimes very rewarding for Instructors and some people just feel good about them selves when they can make a differance in someones trianing..

DIVE FOR YOU FIRST then if you want more become a pro!!:D

See Ya on the Roy A. Jodrey!!!

NINJA

Voodoogas_diver

No :nono:, I don't think it is selfish. I can imagin an instructor/DM wants to dive just for the fun without looking after all those divers-to-be performing all kind of things you would never think about and emtying their cylinder in a quarter of the time you do.

Back
Top Bottom