Researching for 1st time Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus213

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello divers, Marcus here from NC. 60 yr old male diver that dives the deep NC wrecks a few times a year. I've dove the FL keys quiet a bit over the last 30 years. Amoray Dive Resort in Key Largo is "Awesome outfit to go with". Just overloaded with all the Liveaboard boats and destinations to choose from! I'm looking for a lower/middle of the road Liveaboard trip. I'm not the kind of guy that needs to be waited on, gear set up/cater too or fancy treatment kind of stuff. Just an outfit that believes in DIVER SAFETY FIRST!!! a lot of diving during the day w/ many sites, a cold beer to drink after diving hours, an a fish to eat at night and a place to rinse off an bed down at night and do it all again the next day for a week. I like my Nitrox, i see a few dont offer it. That fine too, but i want to do some wall dives, etc, not just shallow reefs everyday! Us NC boys like our sharks to be mixed into dives also. Last thing here folks. I like to dive early spring/summer, because we get so tired of our dives being blown out/trips ruined by hurricane's during late summer and the fall around here!! If you got any info to help, we thank you. Marcus out

You don't say where you want to go, but a "lower/middle of the road" trip strongly implies the Caribbean. I'd suggest Turks and Caicos. Both the Aggressor and Explorer Venture folks have boats there and visit pretty much the same sites. Belize is nice too. If you don't mind the extra travel time and expense, that opens up the Red Sea for you, with lots of boats to chose from there.​

Deep wall dives and sharks makes me think of the Red Sea which would be much cheaper than Turks and Caicos but obviously longer travel time.

I love the Juliet out of Miami Bahamas & their winter St. Croix LOB trips. The captain & crew are knowledgeable, easy going, lots of good food. Nitrox & beer available. I am working my way up to a repositioning trip!

Also if you are ever in Texas, the Fling/ Texas Caribbean offers amazing dives found only in the Gulf of Mexico for shorter LOB trips, also knowledgeable skippers and great crew, Nitrox and beer available.

The outer atolls region of Belize or Turks & Caicos come to mind in the Caribbean region, as liveaboards offering substantial advantages over land-based alternatives. In case it's helpful:

Sun Dancer 2 (Belize) May 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ving-belize-via-sun-dancer-2-may-2nd-9th.html (This boat is now called the Belize Aggressor IV)

Dive Trip to the Blue Hole & Visit to Half Moon Caye - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/506647-some-blue-hole-impressions.html

Turks & Caicos Aggressor II Report Apr. 2018 - Trip Report - Turks & Caicos Aggressor II 4/21-4/28 Trip Report

Turks & Caicos Research Notes - Turks & Caicos Research Notes

There are other options, such as the Cayman Aggressor IV and there's an Aggressor boat for the Bay Islands, too, but people argue how much benefit they offer vs. land-based alternatives. I pointed you to a couple where it's an easier argument to make.

Already mentioned earlier, but I concur with @txdamselfish -- Juliet to the Bahamas is great value and bang for the buck. Added advantage is that you get to depart from and return from Miami marina, which will save a lot on travel expense for you. It is not a high end liveaboard, but also not "camping at sea". Food and crew are outstanding. Here is a link to my trip report from a couple years ago- plenty of info for you to consider: Trip Report - Juliet Liveaboard to Bahamas (May 22-28, 2021)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom