Resizing Scubapro 109/156 mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Alright @couv this is where you get to tell me I'm an idiot.

I have a bunch of 109's that need mouthpieces. Most of the mouthpieces I use are Apeks which are 1.3x0.68" openings and use them on my Poseidons that are 1.4x.81" openings.
I just bought some generic mouthpieces that are the "standard" 1.2x.63" openings, but these are still too big for the 109's. I'm thinking about finding some silicone bands that are roughly 1.5" in diameter and an eighth inch thick and then put the mouthpieces over that, but didn't know if anyone else had any ideas.

Yes, slip a -117 o-ring over the mouthpiece shank of your 109/BA and pull it back to the flange lip. Then you can use an Apeks or Comfo bite mouthpiece on it. (Credit to AWAP for that tip.)

If you're an idiot for buying your favorite mouthpiece to install on a 108/109/BA then I am too ;-)

alright @couv I think I MAY have one one better than the o-ring from awap

I was rummaging around the office supply bin at work and found some of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796HSZB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grabbed a pair of them, and put them on the barrel. Looks like they fit pretty snug and allowed the mouthpieces to seal directly to the red silicone band and not move around. Bit more expensive than an o-ring, but I think it's going to be more effective when using the actual Apeks mouthpieces that have a larger OD than the standard ones.

125178630_10164269937135134_890209594561863150_o.jpg

Looks good. Are you able to secure the zip tie taut enough to seal the mouthpiece in place and prevent it from pulling off of the shank?

Looks good. Are you able to secure the zip tie taut enough to seal the mouthpiece in place and prevent it from pulling off of the shank?

I didn't pull terribly hard on it, but it felt as secure as the rest of them normally do. I only had a cheap zip tie on there from DGX, so I didn't pull too hard. Was too lazy to go out to the garage and find the good ones.

The reason I ask is that I do not see a lip or flange to prevent the mouthpiece from pulling off. If the bands you are using are soft enough then that should not be a problem.

The reason I ask is that I do not see a lip or flange to prevent the mouthpiece from pulling off. If the bands you are using are soft enough then that should not be a problem.

so the bands are held on by the original flange on the shank. The thinking is that the surface area of the mouthpiece in contact with the bands is large enough that enough friction is created between the soft silicone bands and the silicone on the mouthpieces and when combined with the pressure from the zip tie, it would have to slide down the entire length of the bands before it would pop off. I may put a cheap mouthpiece on there and see how hard it is to pull, but for now it is definitely secure with "normal" force that you'd encounter by someone kicking you. I.e. I had the mouthpiece in my mouth and pulled as hard as I could until my teeth were going to start hurting, and it didn't move.

Sounds like a good enough test to me-thanks.

I am hesitant to yank on the mouth piece, since it really seems to stress the mouthpiece and the zip tie.

Instead, I try to twist the mouth piece with a modest amount of force. If it doesn't twist easily, then it should be tight enough and secure. This is what I do to when installing a zip tie as well - when the mouth piece no longer spins, I stop further tightening of the zip tie.

For this particular application, 4-5 layers of electrical tape has always seemed to work as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom