Resort recommendations for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverKKC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, folks. I just returned from Bonaire and am considering making a trip to Cozumel in 2008. This would be my first time to Cozumel, and I was wondering if any of you could give me some recommendations based on a few criteria:

-2 divers that don't care about all the amenities (except A/C at least in bedroom..gotta have it), we're there for diving, and lots of it :)
-are interested in a lodging/dive package for 1-2 weeks of boat diving. We would also like to be in an area that would allow for unlimited shore diving if possible.
-we are fans of smaller boats with a smaller number of divers. Cattle boats full of newbies would like to be avoided if possible :)
-finances will be somewhat of a concern. In this case, cheaper will probably be better.

Is shore diving decent in Cozumel? Being drift dives, is shore diving feasable? Do you park a second vehicle at exit point? I'm used to Bonaire, so I'm spoiled with ultra convenient shore diving.

Thanks for any information.

I really dig Cozumel Palace. Great place and awesome service.

Check out the Scuba Club. Clean, no frills, relatively inexpensive, all inclusive (except for the booze), close to town and shore diving from their dock. Two dives a day are included in the package but they offer afternoon dives as well.

Coz is not know for shore diving. Its all about the drift.

Spent a week there last November by myself, then when the girlfriend came down we went to the Palace (more upscale and expensive).

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

Fiesta Americana has good proximity to sites towards the SW end of the island, cuts down on a little travel time. I stayed there 10/06, their onsite dive op is Dive House. DH was a decent enough operator, their boats could accomodate more divers but ususally only 6-10. Unless the op runs 6 packs or small boats, the time of year may dictate how full they run them. You can also do some shore diving right in front of the hotel there (some did, I didn't) and they offer a guided shore night dive if they get enough requests.

Shore diving in COZ is probably going to be a disappointment especially since the storms. But there are some very modest opportunities with some stuff to see besides rocks and sand. Near shore currents tend to be very mild allowing entry and exit at the same site. Or you can catch a taxi one way for $5. Scuba Club is one of my favorites but I would not call them inexpensive and it is all big (but roomy) boats with quite a mix of divers. I suggest you take a look a Caribe Blue and their inhouse op Blue Angle.

1) If you're used to shore diving in Bonaire, you're in for a real let-down in the shore diving of Coz.

2) You have under 50 dives and you're trying to avoid "Newbies"? Hmmmm.

(For the record-and before the flaming begins-I still consider myself "new", too.)

Here's a second vote for the Fiesta Americana. I just got back from there Sunday night. It's clean, has good food and service, saves boat travel time for diving due to it's location, and is a pretty darn good value if you ask me. I have used Dive with Martin on two different trips there and highly recommend them. If you bring a grocery size bag of clothes to donate, they give you a free dive. That's a very cool thing, too. Oh, and if you do a five-day dive package, you get a free underwater video. Their Divemasters have gotten better in the last year at the video, as this years is better than last. They will pick you up right on the Fiesta's dock, too, so no taxi fees involved.

1) If you're used to shore diving in Bonaire, you're in for a real let-down in the shore diving of Coz.

2) You have under 50 dives and you're trying to avoid "Newbies"? Hmmmm.

(For the record-and before the flaming begins-I still consider myself "new", too.)

I have no problem with your #2 & ( ) statement.....

To the OP----We stayed last spring(March '07) @ Vista del Mar, good little property on the main drag a block or 2 from the square(look it up) for $62 US per nite(all taxes included with a cont. breakfast for 2 included & that was a junior suite ie 2 bedrooms, A/C with cable TV)......dove with Aldora but they're a little pricey BUT for that matter all diving is a little pricey on CZM i.e. I'm used to paying $15/dive on Roatan on the north side......Food is cheap( I don't drink--anymore), and spent about $15 to $20 for lunch & dinner per day per person while there.....Soooo, hotel & meals cost me about $50 per day(a person) then...........Hope this helps BUT CZM AIN'T cheap anymore like it used to be in the 70's & 80's.....good luck......

My wife and I have been to Cozumel three times, and I can only speak about the resort we stayed at and the dive company we used. All three times we were at the Hotel Cozumel and dove with Dive Paradise.

We really enjoyed the Hotel Coz, but there are good and bad points about it. It's an all-inclusive, but the food was just fair (good breakfast, lunch poolside you could always at least get a burger, but dinners were very hit-and-miss.) We always said that if we went back, we'd budget to eat out several nights, which honestly is worth it anyway...we were able to find some great little restaurants in San Miguel and the food there was phenomenal. San Miguel, by the way, is easy walking distance from the resort, and we ended up in there just about every day and/or evening...well worth visiting several times, just avoid the times when there are lots of cruise ships in dock. Do yourself a favor, too...take an off day from diving, rent a jeep, and tour the island. It's amazing what interesting little places you can find when you just go out and start looking.

Aside from the food, the hotel has a lot of plusses...the rooms were clean and comfortable, the pool was excellent, and the drinks were cold and plentiful. We felt the best thing about it was the staff, though...from the front desk to the cleaning staff to the bartenders to the entertainment staff...every one was friendly, enthusiastic, and helpful. We particularly found that if you took some time to talk to them and treat them like people rather than servants, they couldn't do enough for you. However, if you're looking for a great beach, look elsewhere. The hotel is across the road from the actual water, and all they have is a small artificial sandy area for sunning. It's old coral at the water's edge, not really a walk in beach, although if you want to do some snorkeling, there is actually plenty to see...I have pictures of stingrays, moray eels, and all kinds of reef fish that I saw right there in about 15'.

Dive Paradise has a shop attached to the hotel, you just have to walk through the tunnel under the road. The staff there are wonderful, and the divemasters excellent. They take the time to search and point out things you'd never see on your own. Very professional outfit from my experience, but I have heard others say they found them a bit too conservative. On the larger boats, they do tend to have a mix of experience levels, and they choose their dive sites based on the lower levels of the clientelle. Fortunately, there are no bad sites on Coz.

As others have mentioned, though, stick to the boat diving; shore dives will likely be disappointing, although snorkelling can be fun.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed every stay we had there, and are hoping to return this year. The last time we were there, though, was the year before the hurricane, so I can't say firsthand what the reef conditions are now, although any reports I've heard say they've rebounded very well.

I'm sure there are plenty of other great dive operators and resorts as well, this is just my own experiences. Hope you find it helpful. Good luck, and safe travelling!

I really dig Cozumel Palace. Great place and awesome service.

Ditto. Stayed at the Coz Palace last March. Best service anywhere. We (wife and I) arranged with Blue XT Sea Diving (Christie, the owner frequents SB) and we were picked up at the hotel pier. Great trip, all the way around! (We posted a trip report on our March 2007 trip in the Cozumel section.)

Back
Top Bottom