resort recommendations for junior OW certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have two children that we want to introduce to scuba next summer. They will be 12 and 13. Our initial plan has been to do it at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan where we have visited several times because they have a pretty robust junior program and I have been comfortable with all the instructors I have met there. It also works well for us to dive while the kids have full days with the instructors and some local dolphins.

That said, are there any other places that you would recommend for kids getting their Junior Certificates? We live in California and although I am glad I learned in cold water it also adds a lot of complications that I don't really want them to have to deal with in the beginning. So, we are likely going to travel somewhere warm.

Separately, how much prework would you recommend? We have a pool, so I was planning on basic skills (mask clearing, snorkeling, maybe even getting a tank and practicing some things with the regulators). Did any of you go over book work with them?

Thanks for your help.

Are you fixed on AKR when in Roatan? We have 5 kids that have all been certified while in Roatan, and we like being there and diving there so much that we now have a place there within walking distance of West End, part of Cocolobo. We have a "lodge" and really enjoy having our own space with the option of either eating out, or making our own meals. We've driven the kids to AKR for the dolphin experience as well as to look around etc. but we also like being able to walk into West End in the evenings. Our eldest just got married so this year we had a "new addition"!

We recommend doing the online material shortly before visiting, and then using a dive op in town for the skills etc. Our preference is Sun Divers, but there are other good ops available too. At Sun Divers you can get fitted and familiar with the equipment, and then it's only a short walk (10 feet or so) over the beach and into the water. It's a nice gradual bottom and you walk to a depth based on the height of the individual. You can then do your beginner skills right there and gradually go deeper as you progress. By the time you get to the end of the Beach House Hotel jetty you're at about 10'-12' or so and it's a good place to practice buoyancy and other skills etc.

You're already familiar with diving in Roatan so you know that boat rides don't have to be long to get to the reef, and that there's also a lot of vibrant reef within the learning to dive depths. The water temps and clarity are just fantastic for learning.

We have access to a heated outdoor pool that's 10' at the deep end. Our kids practically lived at the pool during the summer, but we did not practice any skills, just having them be comfortable in the water, treading water, swimming etc. plus the occasional snorkel/ mask fit and comfort testing etc. I would recommend working on hand signals as well as the understanding of the basics, especially knowing about not holding breath and slowly breathing out if you have to emergency ascend.

When not diving or poolside at Cocolobo, we would be on the beach by Sundowners or further along toward Gingers. You can snorkel over and around the reef right there without being in boat traffic. You can swim over to the iSoar "swing" boat which all of the kids love to spend time on.

Are you fixed on AKR when in Roatan? We have 5 kids that have all been certified while in Roatan, and we like being there and diving there so much that we now have a place there within walking distance of West End, part of Cocolobo. We have a "lodge" and really enjoy having our own space with the option of either eating out, or making our own meals. We've driven the kids to AKR for the dolphin experience as well as to look around etc. but we also like being able to walk into West End in the evenings. Our eldest just got married so this year we had a "new addition"!

We recommend doing the online material shortly before visiting, and then using a dive op in town for the skills etc. Our preference is Sun Divers, but there are other good ops available too. At Sun Divers you can get fitted and familiar with the equipment, and then it's only a short walk (10 feet or so) over the beach and into the water. It's a nice gradual bottom and you walk to a depth based on the height of the individual. You can then do your beginner skills right there and gradually go deeper as you progress. By the time you get to the end of the Beach House Hotel jetty you're at about 10'-12' or so and it's a good place to practice buoyancy and other skills etc.

You're already familiar with diving in Roatan so you know that boat rides don't have to be long to get to the reef, and that there's also a lot of vibrant reef within the learning to dive depths. The water temps and clarity are just fantastic for learning.

We have access to a heated outdoor pool that's 10' at the deep end. Our kids practically lived at the pool during the summer, but we did not practice any skills, just having them be comfortable in the water, treading water, swimming etc. plus the occasional snorkel/ mask fit and comfort testing etc. I would recommend working on hand signals as well as the understanding of the basics, especially knowing about not holding breath and slowly breathing out if you have to emergency ascend.

When not diving or poolside at Cocolobo, we would be on the beach by Sundowners or further along toward Gingers. You can snorkel over and around the reef right there without being in boat traffic. You can swim over to the iSoar "swing" boat which all of the kids love to spend time on.
The only reason I would be attached to AKR is because I am familiar with the instructors. Also, they have the program coordinated with the scuba diving parents (so it is basically like having them a daycare with a convenient pickup time).

I guess my other concern is not knowing much outside of the resort and having to piecemeal the trip together. I would need to research a place to stay, diveboats, probably need to get a car, etc. AKR makes it pretty easy to be lazy about all of that.

How often are you down there?

+1 to your choice of AKR.

It is one of the two top dive resort operations on Roatan, I like CCV better, but for your needs, bang… dead-on target with AKR.

Instructors can come and go, but AKR has this process so systematized that it’s plug-and-play. It will mesh in well with your day care desire.

DO NOT drive any vehicle on Roatan. A different topic, though.

How much pre-work? For any certification… all of it! Caveat: with children and spouses, go slowly, with introspection and caution. Such instruction is often better left to ‘outside’ sources due to social issues.

If you have a pool? By all means, keep them in 2’ and let them suck the regulator. Clear masks, purge regs, all that. Reinforce the ‘keep breathing’ mantra, but sitting in 24” obviates lung expansion danger. Practice seated in water that shallow will be hugely valuable. Resist the urge they will exhibit to go deeper before pro instruction. This is how I learned at age 6 in 1958, I’m still breathing!

AKR hands down.

My son did his junior open water at AKR last summer and their camp program is amazing. He made great friends, loved the dolphin component and it really seemed like the instruction was excellent. We were able to end with a family dive on Friday.
For future dive trips we are exploring Kids Seacamp (familydivers.com). We have heard excellent things about their instructors and they work with well known dive shops including Buddy Dive, Fort Young in Dominica and several others. We are hoping to book a week with them for next summer.

Back
Top Bottom