Resources for Affected Instructors / DMs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would it be appropriate to have a sticky in this forum giving a few tips on what to do after an incident? (Perhaps contributed to by Ken? TSandM?) Even seemingly-obvious stuff would be useful, because after an incident our brains don't work very well. Not just me - that's a symptom from Ken's link.

You could maybe write stuff like:

• A checklist of who to contact.
    Eg: counselor, lawyer if appropriate, doctor, regulating body, etc.
  • Advice (or links) on how to minimise trauma and reduce chance of long-term issues like PTSD.
    Ken's info above would be great for LA people.
    For the rest of us: a list of relevant search terms (like the "Critical Stress Incident Management" that Ken mentioned) could help people to help themselves. (Using Ken's search term I found documents that advise patients to resume a normal routine, do heavy exercise, etc. I wish I'd known this info at the time.)
  • Some practical advice on what to do.
    Eg: Write notes and make sketches as soon as possible. It's a common response for our brains to block out details, and it may be days before giving a police statement. (In my statement I didn't mention important details that could have helped the coroner.)
  • Reassurance to resuscitators that the chance of infection is low, but some steps they could take anyway.
    Eg: Consult your doctor if exposed to blood, or exposed to fluids during rescue breathing if you had open wounds in your mouth. (My doctor told me to rinse thoroughly with antiseptic (I presume that's just a placebo) and get tested asap.)
You could even divide it into sub-sections like Instructors, Buddies, Resuscitators, etc.

Would anyone else like to read info like that?
More importantly, would anyone like to write a post like that?

Disclaimer: The above is not actual advice. It's just ideas to prompt other people to write better stuff.

Some background - Having a student injured or dead must (?) be at least as hard on the instructor / DM as a squad or platoon leader losing a soldier / sailor / airman in battle. The military has a very clear, structured way of counseling for the troops and leadership involved as well as family support groups.

What is there for the instructor / DM / dive op folks? I didn't think it appropriate to question DAN on this, but do they have recommendations? This is tough stuff!

You are very perceptive. It is an entirely appropriate question.

Part of the training to become dive professionals covers critical incidents and steps to take afterwards to take care of yourself.

Mostly it is procedural. Very little of it pertains to the actual post-incident mental health of the instructor.

It is an issue that has been raised several times and the industry would rather ignore because it publicizes the "wrong" side of diving.

I'm shocked!

I have lobbied both NAUI and PADI (and their respective insurance compnaies) at various times over the years to set something up, but to no avail.

I'm doubly shocked!

Sorry for the sarcasm.

The thought of losing a student under any circumstance is a huge burden that has weighed on me for years. I can only imagine how bad it is when it really happens. I can only hope that the instructor has the support of friends and peers at this time, not just risk managers from the shop, agency and insurance company.

In the Netherlands, there is an organized system of counselling for victims of traumatic accidents etc. As soon as something like this happens, the emergency people will ask you on site before you even go home if you want them to mobilize victim support for you. You can also phone them after the fact.

R..

I learned a long time ago after a serious loss that there is no excuse or more importantly shame in asking for help with traumatic issues. I have over the years seen a professional for different reasons. Stress of any kind is a killer. Many times it is gotten rid of for me by diving. Sometimes that does not work. 3 years ago work was a killer, wife with medical issues, kids, money, etc. I was getting to the point where I'd just get pissed and fly off the handle. Nothing physical but not appropriate for every situation. I hooked up again with a good therapist and got thru it. Now I just use him whenever I feel a bit overwhelmed or just need to unload crap that I don't want to burden friends of family with. And I know it is going no further! But I also recognize that is something were to happen diving that I'd better have some support. We have even discussed the psychological benefits of diving and I;ve gotten some good feedback in dealing with certain types of people, their fears, and even learning issues. I like Ken's idea about setting up a network within an agency. Even an informal one. I'd also like to see the issue addresses more fully in instructor development. That may be something I can run further up the pole and see who salutes it with my agency. I kinda know a few people there. Even with very high standards stuff can happen and it helps to be prepared. I know I address it somewhat during the rescue portion of OW class and will go into it more in DRAM. If you teach someone how to rescue, you better discuss dealing with it afterward, regardless of the outcome.

I checked my health insurance provider for grief/loss/trauma counseling resources and the web directory was extremely unhelpful. I may be able to find a resource in my area via Google, but I wonder how I can find one that my insurance will cover?

I checked my health insurance provider for grief/loss/trauma counseling resources and the web directory was extremely unhelpful. I may be able to find a resource in my area via Google, but I wonder how I can find one that my insurance will cover?

Instead of looking for specifically "grief/loss/trauma", look for "mental health".

Speaking only from Military / Government health systems, most companies allow you to contact a provider and have x sessions without any kind of referral. They've begun to see that unhandled stress - of any sort, from financial to divorce to marriage to death - leads to further health problems.

Big strides have happened since the government removed the stigma and affect of mental health issues from its security clearance requirements.

That's what I did, I mean, I looked in the mental health directory but none of the specialties listed were anywhere close.

Call the chaplin at any local hospital or Visting Nurse Association, they'll know whom to refer you to.

PADI does have grief counseling. When there is an accident or a witness to an accident they have a toll free number for you to call. I also believe that most health insurance providers offer it. If you have a co-pay then typically you would pay that. Also most local fire departments have a debriefer. Sometimes a professional debrief is all it takes. Good Luck.

Great topic. Dealing with the death of a diver would sure seem to qualify as a stressful event. Perhaps this is the place where something new and beneficial can actually start.

We've had some dealings with critical incident stress mangement here in the fire service. In our case, counselers and resources were available through the county emergency management agency. If they can't provide the same level of service, perhaps they can let you know what resources are out there. The local VA may also provide you with information for resources as well.

Regardless, this is a good idea and a great topic. I'm looking forward to seeing what resources other people recommend. I think I'll do some checking around and see what's out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom