Restaurant review: 10 Experiences Tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? Because I expect to pay that and more for a nice dinner in New York. There are hundreds if not thousands of restaurants that are in that price range in NYC. Not so in Cozumel.

That's exactly why I would rather be in Cozumel than NYC. Can you just imagine how spectacular this dinner was! It sounds fabulous. I am truly drooling with envy. @WetInPortland - thanks for sharing.

I might spend that much on food in a week there.

As I said, it's not an every night destination. We frequently have Doña Juanita's empanadas for lunch (you know it's good when the taxis are double parked getting their breakfast and lunch). They raised their prices by 20% after New Years - from $10 pesos each to $12 pesos each.
At an informal SB dinner gathering on my last trip, we were enjoying great food at cheap rates at Los Otates Restaurant - Home and someone mentioned that he thought Cozumel had too many low cost restaurants with great food for demand to support supply. New ones keep popping up with so many good cooks on the island.

That last sentiment may not be quite accurate. El Mojito restaurant closed a few months ago, right before the start of high season, supposedly because the cook left and the owner was tired of the hassle of finding a replacement that would know what he's doing. Apparently it wasn't the first time. (Search C4Y if you want more details.)

During high season (not so much now) it was common to see help wanted signs all over downtown. With more expats moving in (guilty!), more rentals being converted from long term to AirBnB, increasing the cost of living, and now with the Disney pier coming, my sense is that labor on the island is tight and is likely to get tighter.

But I'm derailing my own thread. Let's take this line of conversation to a new thread or The Pub if anyone wants to continue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom