Return From Fantasy Island - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only way you can possibly get cheaper/dive is to go somewhere like bonaire where you are doing all of your dives from shore. Airfare used to be cheaper to Roatan, but that seems to have dissolved this year to where they are more on par with each other.

As someone who prefers fall off the boat diving, I agree.

I don't really consider three dives a day a dive vacation - It's a vacation with a few dives thrown in.

Alright guys, so Fantasy Island is cheap eh'? Let me explain what my statement was based upon.

Roatan: Bananarama Dive
Utila: Utila Dive Lodge
Cayos Cochinos: Plantation Beach Resort

For Roatan prices, there isn't much variation, but there is for Utila and Cayos Cochinos. Again, haven't been to Guanaja, but read it has great diving. The only thing that would up the total cost of your stay would be taking the ferry to Utila, Guanaja, or Cayos Cochinos, whereas Roatan has its' own airport.

If you're flexible enough to not do the Bay Islands, almost all options in Cozumel are cheaper than the above resorts.

Umm, not if you factor in the cost for multiple dives... like DeputyDan alluded to above.

This discussion has been beaten around quite a bit, but in terms of dollars and mathematics, anything more than two dives in a day becomes difficult unless you're at an AI. Your list above is a bit cattywampus... 1 day dive op on Roatan, and two AI's on the other Bay Islands.

The point is taken, however- no matter how inclusive the all inclusive is, if it isn't suiting your needs, it doesn't matter.

Just let's not confuse the traveller who arrives and does 12 dives during his week on Roatan, versus the some of us who think 27 is a bare minimum.
There are vacations with diving and then there are dive vacations.

You can not quantify emotions, but you can cost analyze any All Inclusive Price versus a Day Dive Operation + Guest House + shopping for meals.

Plantation Beach Resort on Cayos is a wonderful place to experience for outpost diving and adventure. The low cost makes this place within the reach of many travelers. There is the additional cost of getting to and from PBR from La Ceiba from Roatan or San Pedro Sula as well as travel time and maybe a hotel room for the night in La Ceiba. Still worth the expense for the experience. However as R-man explained, the diving on the south shore is unparalled. I prefer the reef to be beside me not below me. Suspended over the abyss, coral to the left of me, deep blue to the right, swept along by the warm currents.

Hey R-man are you still booking for cocoview?

Hey R-man are you still booking for cocoview?

Am I involved in booking? No, never was.

Are we going back? Yes, I have a free trip (1 freebie after ten trips) to burn up before April 2012. That will be Number 31, most of them are of 2 week stays. The airfare and the travel are the hump- once you're there- why leave?

Before that, though, we will be going to Maldives, the Red Sea and Aquacat. Maybe the Galloping Pogos, too. Roatan, and certainly CCV, are calling me back home.

Back
Top Bottom