Returning diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vcvoss

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I got YMCA certified *years* ago in college .. did a little diving then, got a full set of gear ... quit diving due to various reasons (time, no buddy) .. sold my gear (I'm kicking myself now). Now I have a boyfriend who's interested in diving, got himself certified so we could dive together too! He lives in Holland and I'm in Florida!

We're going down to Key Largo later this month. I've scoured these boards for recommendations and we're going to decide this weekend.

Neither of us can afford to get all of our gear right now, and we'll be diving infrequently for the next 1 1/2 years until he moves, but we'd like to get our own gear -- probably peice by peice as we can afford it :)

I do have a question for everyone ... what's the current policy/practice on tipping the boat crew?

Thanks
Victoria

Welcome to the boards and glad to hear you made it back to the sport. Thats a good question there, I'll be watching to see what is recommended as well. I did ask that question of a divemaster a couple months ago down in Crystal River, FL and he said $5-$10.

Tom

if the dm stays dry, 5 bucks is plenty. If they get in the water with you and show you around, I would say more like 15. If you have a great time, or they are extremely helpful, then show your appreciation :). I figure if I go to a resturaunt, and a waiter spends a total of 15 minutes, on me, hes getting 15-20 percent right. If a dm spends 4 hours with me, helping with gear, showing me the reefs or wrecks, and providing me with local knowledge, thats worth more to me than the 15 percent I give the waiter!

If a DM makes a PITA of himself after I've explained nicely I don't want any help, he doesn't get a tip. If I'm required to follow the DM, not only do I not tip, I ask for my money back.

If a DM gives me excellent service (which means different things to different people) I tip $5 or $10 depending on how excellent. To me, excellent service means the DM should be friendly, but not cocky. He should help those that want/need help, leave the rest of us alone, tie up to the wreck quickly and give a briefing that lets me know what to expect of the site, he should not mess with my gear.

Thanks for asking, it is one of those things that I really want to know but haven't asked. I've only been on a few dives 2 tank dives with charters and tipped $10 each day. I didn't know if that was being cheap or not.

I'm also wondering about other circumstances:
1) Live aboards- is there a standard per day tip for good or great service or is it a percentage of the cost?
2) I dive with my local dive shop on their boat. The charge is about $55 for a two tank dive (I supply my own tanks) and it is more intimate than a regular charter. Any suggestions out there?
3) What if you take a class that involves a boat, do you tip the crew?

check this thread I started earlier on tipping..

tipping

When are you going, my wife & I will be there week after next.

As to a class, I still tip the boat crew, & usually tip the instructor as well.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advise!!

We've got everything setup with Blue Water Divers (thanks for the help Brent!) and are heading down 6/31 - 8/1

- Victoria

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom