Revearse Block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S. starfish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So today I clashed with one of the scuba divers natural enemies - the resverse block. It was truely one of the most painful things I have ever contended with and took six hours, 12 hour sudafed, ibuprofin, a trip to the doctors and steroids shot up my nose to get rid of it. Aside from all the pain my ear is now royaly messed up.

I never want to experience this again and was thinking about ways to counter the this. i was thinking of perhaps bringing some quick acting decongestant in a ziplock bag and a small amount of fresh water in another.
Any ideas about other ways to combat the dreaded reverse block?

S. starfish:
So today I clashed with one of the scuba divers natural enemies - the resvearse block.

I had a very minor case of this just last week. I slowed the acent and it was manageable. I did one foot in about 10 seconds then hung out at 45 feet for ten minutes. At 30 feet it was gone. I think just going low and moving the head and jaw around is all you can do.

From my first dive (to a grand total of 15, woohoo!), if I ascend too fast, I get a serious sense of vertigo (things start turning on to the left side, spinning in general).

After the first time, I know what it is and why. Do not fin up on the ascent! Go slow! It goes away.

You do not discuss the ascent: do you have a computer? Did it say you went too fast? What depth you experienced the pain? Did you push through it to the surface (bad idea)?

I had a "light going on moment" when I told my girlfriend and dive buddy "Dolphins would laugh at us ... 'listen to your ears'. If they squeeze in, you're going down. If you feel dizzy, you're going up too fast." In other words: Duh. Listen to your body.

I feel like a veteran diver figuring this out ... yet it is so simple. Slow down.

Also, you can do a reverse Valsalva (sp?) equalization: hold your nose and suck in.

Yea, a slow ascent was attempted, but it didn't have such great results. The block asctualy started around 80ft, but everything just sealed up at about 10, which sucked since I was in about 1/2 foot of vis and halfway throught my ascent from the bottom with no reference. My reg was also letting me know that it was time for it to be serviced but free flowing every now and then (six times total during the dive). So not exactly the most ideal situation. I did manage to ascend at a rate of about 1ft/10 seconds or less according to my computer. Didn't help though, neither did reverse valsalva, everything just completely plugged up.
What I'm really wondering about though is the best way to take/transport decongestants underwater

I got tooth squeeze during one of my dives in Belize in April. Actually it happened on the very first dive and no subsequent dives which makes very little sense to me. I'm not complaining though because it was a very unpleasant sensation ... time to fix that cavity.

I'm sorry if I came across, cross. What I meant was: its the same thing you teach your students... get things right, go slow, and go from there. I am not one to teach you. But, I work in a field (law enforcement) that often the rookies teach the vets by reminding them of the basics.

If you had pain ... stop. If you couldn't because of reg probs, hmmm, you go with what you can do at the time. But your question about transporting decongestants down on dives.... thats a good one .... do you teach that?

well obviously he doesn't teach it if he is asking how to do it. :p

I can attest to the super slow ascent. There was no finning involved whatsoever (horizontal ascent, using breath control to ascend). I got no slow warning on my computer (which is set to 20ft/min), and I surfaced before he did.

basically, in this case, the block was going to happen, and there was no stopping it, regardless of how slow we went.

S. starfish:
What I'm really wondering about though is the best way to take/transport decongestants underwater
Coated in wax usually works, although you may want a tiny baggie to protect the wax from being scraped off.

A slow ascent is always best.

Wouldn't coating it in wax make it nearly impossible to digest? You could scrap the wax off, but the the water's already going ot get at it and scraping wax off a small pill while underwater sounds like someting tricky to do while wearing 5mm gloves.

Transport decongestants underwater?

Whoa. Back the truck up, Chuck.

Reverse block is trapped air in sinus cavities that is now expanding and being held against its will inside your now bulging skull as you ascend. Kind of like an ice cream headache with dry ice.

Simple, easy methods.

Pinch and suck. (Reverse val salva)

Massage key pressure points. Pinch and suck.

Descend to where it doesn't hurt. Ascend incrementally and sooooooooooo slowly. Stop. Pinch and suck.

Doesn't work? Try a quick val salva (pinch and blow) followed by pinch and suck.

Degongestants in a waterproof form and what... water to wash it down with in a zip lock? Is that what that was for? Jeez- how about some Red Bull?

Pinch and suck. Massage the pressure points.

Easy.

creamofwheat:
well obviously he doesn't teach it if he is asking how to do it.

This is, essentially something that can not be taught.

When it happens, most people lose all control and recall.

In certain cases, there is an effective method for post-occurance corrective instruction. You can haul the victim up and order him to lie flat on the deck and shut up, or if you really like him you can send him back down after attempting to give him the pinch and suck lecture... the second time. Some guys just go Student Initiated Elimination.

When they're paying for classes, it's a whole different deal.

Back
Top Bottom