Reverse Block?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike.D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Hello all,[/FONT]

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Dived the ex-HMAS Brisbane at Moloolaba on a double boat dive with ScubaWorld today with ferris (my dive buddy) and it was awesome!! Vis was about 8-10m with 1m swell and light current but it was a fantastic dive. Amazing wreck to penetrate as it was so easy but massive.[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]HOWEVER.........[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]During my ascent, which i take very slowly, I experienced some pain and pressure buildup in my ears, head and right eye to the point my right eyelid was swollen, I had a nosebleed on the surface (1st nosebleed ever) and y head ad ears were painful and not far off unbearable. After the first dive these symptoms subsided within 15-20 minutes to the point where i felt completely normal however after the second dive (symptoms were worse, same dive profile) it took approximately an hour ad a half to go away. I can actually hear the my ears equalize very noisily within 10-15mins but the pressure in my head persisted a while longer. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Any clues??? Ferris thinks that it may be reverse block as I am descending fine with no problems equalizing. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]All our ascents where slow with out normal 5minute safety stop which we usually drag out to 7-8 mins to use up a bit more air. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Oh and I do have a very very slight case of the sniffles but haven't been sick or congested. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Cheers[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-Mike[/FONT]

Yup, that sure sounds like a reverse block of your ears and your sinuses... Generally things get better with time (is your vision OK? No double vision or blurriness?), but you shouldn't dive until you are cleared up and can easily equalize your nose and ears in a pool. Diving with an upper respiratory tract infection is a common reason for getting this. Nosebleeds are also common with sinus squeeze like this, but the swelling over the lid usually means that blood or air was forced out of the sinuses into the soft tissues around the eye.

If the ear symptoms persist, it is important to see an ENT doc to make sure that it's just a conductive hearing loss. Medical therapy usually doesn't help much, but occasionally steroids can help.

Here is more on the ear and the physiology of blocks: http://www.rothschilddesign.com/ear_scuba

Of course, the problem with reverse blocks is that with a regular block (on descent), you can just take your time until you can equalize, or abort the dive if you can't. Not an option on ascent! As the pilots say - "takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory".

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks Doctormike.

I'm back to normal now and it's been 9 hours since my dive, I didn't experience any vision loss or double vision just discomfort and it felt itchy and watery (I thought it was due to an irritation from water in my mask).
Will have to plan a pool dive to make sure I'm okay and the symptoms don't reappear.
Cheers
-Mike

Thanks Doctormike.

I'm back to normal now and it's been 9 hours since my dive, I didn't experience any vision loss or double vision just discomfort and it felt itchy and watery (I thought it was due to an irritation from water in my mask).
Will have to plan a pool dive to make sure I'm okay and the symptoms don't reappear.
Cheers
-Mike

Good to hear... dive safe!

M

You may want to be proactive with your sinuses before diving, especially if there are any issues like sniffles.

I try to avoid meds, but sometimes...I do carry nasal spray (oxymetazoline hcl). I do not use it regularly because it can cause rebound and dependency issues. However, if I did have a reverse block or other equalization issue, I would use it. It may open things up, limiting damage.

Then again not doing a dive, especially NOT doing a second dive if you're having problems after the first dive, is a wise course of action.

Something I have found helpful is nasal irrigation. It seems to flush out my sinuses, gets them accustomed to a bit of water and irrigates them against dry tank air. It is simply a mild buffered saline solution. No meds, no drugs in your system.

This is not medical advice, it's just what I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom