Reverse squeeze??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VaScubaGirl

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to ask a quick question. I dove this weekend and after the second dive I felt a bit lightheaded and dizzy (not seasick though) for about 10 or 15 minutes afer surfacing. Had a good long hang time, longer than required because there were some cool ramoras swimming around. The dizziness went away, but another thing I noticed was my right ear felt like it had water in it in spite of the fact I put swimmers ear in it. Later that night, it was really aggravating me, and my fellow divers offered many suggestions (wiggle your ears, try a mixture of alcohol and vinegar etc) all of which I tried without avail. This was Saturday evening. My ear doesn't feel like it has water in it anymore, but I was wondering if I had gotten a reverse squeeze (this was what one of my fellow divers thought it was) and if there is anyway to prevent it in the future. Also wanted to know if that could have caused my dizziness immediately following the dive? Thanks!

Transient dizziness has 2 common causes post dive:

Water was trapped in one ear by residual wax; this causes a difference in temperature between ears and triggers caloric vertigo.

If ears were perfectly clean its could be alternobaric vertigo; ears didn't equalize equally, and the difference causes vertigo.

A sensation of water in the ear afterwards can be from a minor inflammatory reaction caused by barotrauma of equalization causing edema of the ED which is self limited and-or a small amount of inflammatory fluid, an effusion, that may collect in the middle ear.

Back
Top Bottom