REVIEW: CREE MC-E Diving Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you find the (apparently) larger light head a pain to deploy and stow from the shoulder strap inner tube?

I did not carry it in the back up light fashion for that reason. The head, and the fixed fins behind the head make carrying it like that a bad idea, I think. I would not reccomend this light for anyone looking to replace their back-up lights. Although, I suppose if you used a loose bungee, it would still stay in place, and you could probably still deploy it, but getting it clear of those fins might be difficult. Thinking on it as I type- perhaps carrying this as a back-up for your primary but still carrying a photon torpedo or similar as well when quick deployment is needed, might be a decent option. I would be hesitant to give up both of my proven back-up lights. With no one really using this light yet, reliability and longevity have yet to be determined.
My friend in a machine shop is making me a stainless steel goodman handle. Once I get that, I will treat it as if it were the head on a light cannister. It will remain on my hand or clipped off to a chest d-ring if needed. Fo this dive I attached a snap shackle to the end cap and most of the time I held it in my hand. I had my camera, but viz and currents weren't too good on this dive, so for the few pics I took I clipped it off on my crotch strap d-ring.

Of course all of this is based on the idea that everyone is choosing to carry lights DIR fashion.

Good review! Glad to hear that it seemed to have exceeded your expectations! I'd be interested in how the handle turns out as well, be sure to update this thread with more pictures.

I'm thinking about possibly ordering some more of these to sell. If anyones interested you can PM me or contact me through my website. Thanks!

Looking at the pics, this unit dismantles to three pieces; the head, barrel, and tail piece?

Can the user skip the barrel, attaching the head & tail directly? Then perhaps add a canister?

Just thinking out loud...

Mike

Last edited:
Looking at the pics, this unit dismantles to three pieces; the head, barrel, and tail piece?

Can the user skip the barrel, attaching the head & tail directly? Then perhaps add a canister?

Just thinking out loud...

Mike

You know- I am not so sure. The end cap came off easily to install the batteries, but I tried turning the head and couldn't get it to budge. My impression was, it isn't designed to come apart. I was afraid to try and force it, for fear of comprimising the waterproof-ness of the light.

In your opinion how does it compare to like a 10 watt HID. This sounds like what I am looking for, I have been looking at canister lights but at $500.00 and up I have just not pulled the trigger.

In your opinion how does it compare to like a 10 watt HID. This sounds like what I am looking for, I have been looking at canister lights but at $500.00 and up I have just not pulled the trigger.

The light cannon I compared it to is a 10 watt HID, and the Cree was noticably brighter. I would say this light is more on par with a 14 watt HID light.

I too have not been able to pull the trigger on a cannister light. I am still waiting on my goodman handle, but with this light I don't think I will be buying a cannister light now. I think this will meet all of my needs.

Thanks for the advice, I will watch for the next batch to come up for sale.

I picked mine up off of DX (search: diving) and thankfully before they raised the price from $82 to $95. I also picked up a second set of batteries since they have protected 2500mAh for $9/pair (and free shipping). Of course, it did take three weeks to get it all the way out here in Seattle. Even with the long shipping time...I got it today, took it diving and I am also VERY happy with it. I haven't been able to compare it with any of the higher end lights yet but I think I have found my new Primary light. Oh and the dive today was 63 min with a max depth of 76 ft. So far..no problems. After the dive, I started a burn test (still going after a total of 2 hrs) and will post the results after I get a chance to also compare it to other lights.

Well the light just turned off at about 2hrs 5min on high (the first charge cycle for these batteries). I figure it will get better after a few charge cycles...but the good thing is that I have two sets of batteries...whew!

Last edited:
I picked mine up off of DX and thankfully before they raised the price from $82 to $95. I also picked up a second set of batteries since they have protected 2500mAh for $9/pair (and free shipping). Of course, it did take three weeks to get it all the way out here in Seattle. Even with the long shipping time...I got it today, took it diving and I am also VERY happy with it. I haven't been able to compare it with any of the higher end lights yet but I think I have found my new Primary light. Oh and the dive today was 63 min with a max depth of 76 ft. So far..no problems. After the dive, I started a burn test (still going after a total of 2 hrs) and will post the results after I get a chance to also compare it to other lights.

Cool! Yes, please post more as you try it out. It will be good for several users to post their opinions. I wonder if you and I are the only two in the PNW who has this light? I agree, this is going to be my new primary light. I don't even feel the need for a cannister light anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom