Revision tkr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hippocampus01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Due to a bodged tkr, I now face a total revision. Would like to hear from anybody who has gone back to scuba after this. I am used to diving using only one leg after my tkr, but would dearly like to regain the use of both legs again. Need some encouragement.

Due to a bodged tkr, I now face a total revision. Would like to hear from anybody who has gone back to scuba after this. I am used to diving using only one leg after my tkr, but would dearly like to regain the use of both legs again. Need some encouragement.
What is a TKR?

The diving is not up to much, but the sea is lovely and warm in the summer! Also much better access to SE Asia, Maldives, Red Sea than from Ontario.

The diving is not up to much, but the sea is lovely and warm in the summer! Also much better access to SE Asia, Maldives, Red Sea than from Ontario.
I've done a few dives in Cyprus; the Zenobia was fun.

Depending on the surgical approach, your response to the surgery, and your rehabilitation, recovery time could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Returning to diving would be based on your ability to bear weight on that extremity without endangering the prosthesis or the surrounding area. What was it that cause you to need the initial TKR? May I ask how old you are, and what you know about the condition of the surrounding bone?

Best regards,
DDM

Depending on the surgical approach, your response to the surgery, and your rehabilitation, recovery time could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Returning to diving would be based on your ability to bear weight on that extremity without endangering the prosthesis or the surrounding area. What was it that cause you to need the initial TKR? May I ask how old you are, and what you know about the condition of the surrounding bone?

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you for replying to my post. I am 67, had bilateral tkr 2.5yrs ago. One is ok, the other wasn’t right from the start. Now discovered that I have rotated components so maltracking patella, loose tibial component and need a total revision. I have been on 3 dive holidays since my tkrs, could mainly only swim with the good leg.
I had arthritis in both knees, which didn’t affect my ability to tackle any conditions whilst diving, but it’s been sometimes tough and painful with my new knees. I know the score with revisions, and am terrified that I will be advised to not dive.
My bones and ligaments are in good condition.

Thank you for replying to my post. I am 67, had bilateral tkr 2.5yrs ago. One is ok, the other wasn’t right from the start. Now discovered that I have rotated components so maltracking patella, loose tibial component and need a total revision. I have been on 3 dive holidays since my tkrs, could mainly only swim with the good leg.
I had arthritis in both knees, which didn’t affect my ability to tackle any conditions whilst diving, but it’s been sometimes tough and painful with my new knees. I know the score with revisions, and am terrified that I will be advised to not dive.
My bones and ligaments are in good condition.
Sounds challenging. You're probably well familiar with what a misaligned knee prosthesis can do to your gait and balance. In my limited experience with things like this, the most important thing is going to be rehabbing it and getting your strength and range of motion back. You'll also have to get used to having it aligned correctly again - I imagine your proprioception will be off for a while. After that, if your surgeon clears you for full physical activity, including bearing the weight of diving gear while walking on a boat, and you're otherwise in good health, there should be no reason why you can't return to diving.

Best regards,
DDM

Again, thank you for your reply. It has given me peace of mind that, provided I get a good job this time, my diving days are not yet over.

Back
Top Bottom