RF signal in underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, it is about RF signal transmission. I need your expertise.
The RF signal doesn’t penetrate the solid and liquid mass, so GPS doesn’t work in underwater. But, how much difficult to transmit the signal in underwater?

Samsung announced the new camcorder having a wireless connection lens (RF signal up to 15ft). Is it possible to work within 3 ft range in underwater? I am seriously getting this camcorder for the underwater purpose.

Thanks in advance,

Last year's SC-X105L flash-based camcorder gets a minor makeover this year. The new models, the SC-X210L and the SC-X205L, now have a basic black shell and longer-lived batteries; the X210L ships with a 1GB SD card, while the X205L includes 512MB. Both models include an external lens for mounting on your head, your dashboard, or other novel locations.
But in a nice change from the usual more-of-the-same, the SC-X210L has a sister version, the SC-X210WL, which uses a wireless connection between the lens and the body--the RF signal will work up to about 15 feet.
When they ship in February, the X210L will retail for $600, the X205L for $500, and the X210WL for $700.

RF will penetrate water--it just attenuates quickly. At microwave frequencies (GHz or so), it will *REALLY* be quickly attenuated by water (that's why microwave ovens work). So, if the receiver's got good enough signal processing, you may be able to pick up the signal from the remote transmitter. I doubt that you'll get 3 ft, though. Without doing any calculations, I'm going to give you a WAG that your signal would work within 1 ft (That's assuming that the transmission is either in the 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz band. If the transmission is a low power VHF signal in the 50 MHz range, you may be in better luck).

I wonder if the salesfolk would let you test in a swimming pool :D

When I was diving at Cabo San Lucas in December, I met a fellow who was an expert on RF. In fact, my recollection is that he is a trained physicist who specializes in RF. I've sent him a link to you inquiry and asked him to either respond on SB or to e-mail me so I can post a response.

Back
Top Bottom