RGBM model: do you get locked out a lot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those of you who use RGBM model computers, like Suunto, do you find that when you do multiple dives a day then you get locked out? I know the RGBM is one of the most conservative algorithims, but is it so conservitive that you exceed the maximums occasionally? I know some people with Aeris computers who use the Haldean (sp?) algorithim and because it is more liberal they treat the yellow caution zone as if it was the red danger zone, basically they just stay in the green. So, i'd love a conservitive algorithim, but not if it is so conservitive that you easily exceed the computer's maxiumum and get locked out. Sorry if this was confusing, thanks,

Got locked out once. But I can only blame myself... my mosquito was in Freedive mode when it should have been EAN! :11:

Otherwise, no problems whatsoever.

Laurens

Ahahaha, that kinda counts!

Never had a problem getting locked out with my Vyper.

Austin:
For those of you who use RGBM model computers, like Suunto, do you find that when you do multiple dives a day then you get locked out? I know the RGBM is one of the most conservative algorithims, but is it so conservitive that you exceed the maximums occasionally? I know some people with Aeris computers who use the Haldean (sp?) algorithim and because it is more liberal they treat the yellow caution zone as if it was the red danger zone, basically they just stay in the green. So, i'd love a conservitive algorithim, but not if it is so conservitive that you easily exceed the computer's maxiumum and get locked out. Sorry if this was confusing, thanks,

SUUNTO is not true RGBM... just RGBM limiting factors folded over a haldane model..

Why are you in a hurry to get out of the water?? if it is requesting you to hang do it.. unless you are really low on gas there is no excuse not to stay the few extra minutes, you wll feel better in the end anyway..

Austin:
I know the RGBM is one of the most conservative algorithims, but is it so conservitive that you exceed the maximums occasionally?
There is a one thing to be exceeding the maximums as in having a required deco stop. It's quite a different thing to have a required deco stop, then not perform it and have your computer go into gauge only mode for 24 hours.

I often dive with people that have Suuntos that are into required deco. We hang long enough for the computer to be happy.

I'm not sure I follow you? No algorithim is going to tell you that you can't dive. What it will do is tell you how much time it thinks you have a certain depth. What you do with that information is up to you.

Never been locked out. I dive repetitively, sometimes with short surface intervals, and it's only chided me once when I had a close encounter with a lift bag (but that's another story). I can adjust the settings to make it more conservative if I desire, but it's doing fine right now.

It's been said that your body composition, fitness and level of stressors (fatigue, cold, task loading, etc) influence your uptake and offgassing of nitrogen. If I plan my dive and find 2-3 risk factors for diver stress already present (say a cold water dive in current), it might be in my best interests to adjust the algorithm. Or just lengthen my safety stops a few more minutes. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

A lockout means that according to it's model of reality and the input data it gathered from your dives, you shouldn't be in the water. Although it can't tailor it's response for your own personal body, it's probably right, or at least close.

Be nice to yourself and your computer won't lock you out.

Slow ascents and no missed stops will make your computer happy. As an added benefit, you'll feel better.

Terry

Austin:

After I got my Suunto computer, I did 15 dives in a week. Two or three dives every other day or so and then one day of four 70-80' dives on Nitrox. It never went into deco mode and it never errored out. We did our recommended 3 minute safety stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom