Rhode Island Wrecks I want to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok. Here's my list of Rhode Island wrecks that I'd really like to dive. I'm not even sure if we can find someone that knows locations, but I've seen GPS and loran numbers for most of them...

Obviously U-853 and the Idene.

#1 wreck on my list:

Black Point: 85-100 fsw. It was the last ship sank by U-853, and it was sunk on the same day as the 853. It's 3 3/4 miles South East of block island. The bow is upside-down and the stern is upright about 1/4 of a mile away.

P.T. Teti: Also known as the Chemung. An 80' tug lost in 1972 in a storm. Mostly intact and upright in 100 fsw off Sakonnet Point.

Explorer: A 62' Fishing Trawler that pierced it's hull 2 miles south of Newport in 1994. Sits intact and upright in 90 fsw.

Heroine: Rumor has it it's partially intact.

I know Jim knows where the Heroine is, but you think we could get him to do a little homework over the winter [or find someone that knows locations?].

On the way out to the Idene, I asked Jim if the NY/NJ boats come up this far and he said they did...

You were on the Eagle's Nest weren't you? You or someone at MWDC might ask the captain (forgetting his name...know he has been around for 3000 years) about the locations.

Just a thought.

Wreckwriter...you must know someone who can get us these numbers... :)

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
Wreckwriter...you must know someone who can get us these numbers... :)

Well, I've got numbers...but you never really know how accurate they are until you find 'em the first time. If you noticed, Jim used the GPS coordinates to get 'em there, then used his loran to get right on top... but you've gotta use the same loran to get the exact same results...

WreckWriter once bubbled...
http://www.shinasports.com/loranno2.htm . Should be at least a few of them here plus a buttload of others.

Nice list... but the numbers look pretty screwy...

Black Point is listed there, but as 41 19' 31.08"N / 71 25' 29.28", whereas the numbers I have are: 41 18' 55"N / 71 25' 33"W...
That's a discrepancy of over 1220 yards.

So I glanced at the U 853 numbers, and they seemed really flakey. I noticed the first set of numbers that are a little more sane:

U-853 25776.0 43894.8 71.4144 41.2215
U-853 Wreck 14472.8 43894.8 74.5904 38.7461

They are still a bit off of the numbers I see from www.wreckhunter.net.

I had another fishing list that I sent to Paul168[something], but I can't seem to find it at the moment to see how it compares.

I can't vouch for the numbers (I don't get up that far). Keep in mind that Loran C is known for inaccuracy (even a purposefully induced error). You need GPS.

Tom

I know of Loran users who add a deviation to their numbers so they can find stuff just fine, but no one who isn't in on it can get there with their notes.

repeatability is decent with loran (meaning if that particular unit marked that spot it has a good chance of getting back very close) but there's a ton of variation between units. GPS accuracy is far better.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom