RI dive report 7/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyseko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been quiet around here....time for a dive report!:D

Got out with Thatssomebadhatharry, RIOceanographer, Mstudley. Winds were from the south and after checking several sites decided on the cove to cove swim at wetherill. I asked a woman getting out how the vis was....."It SUCKED" she exclaimed! Well thats normal for around here.... So dropping down in the left cove, vis was @4-6'. Thatssomebadhat and I were following, and the vis just seemed to be getting worse the further out we went. When we got out past the 'short cut' between the islands, vis really dropped and the cloud we were following only made it worse. I signaled to my buddy we should turn back hoping the vis wouldnt be so bad if we werent following. So we went back along the wall checking things out. Vis varied 5-10'. Saw a decent tautog hiding and a few short bugs. So we hung out on that side for the dive, making it close to an hour. Not much fun when you cant see a heck of a lot, though. Water temps averaged @62F below 15'. Finally got rid of my dry suit and went wet without the hooded vest! Dropped 8# off my belt!

For the 2nd dive it was just Thatssomebadhat and I. Due to the crap conditions we decided to go for some quahogs at potters cove. Well, the water there looked like tea! Vis was @2-4'. Instantly became a solo dive, even without digging for clams. This site really looked a lot different than the last times I've gone. It was a barron wasteland on the bottom. I saw a few large dead spider crabs, not empty shells, just dead. The usual million hermit crabs werent around, just a few here and there. Even the eel grass seemed to be all but gone! It was pretty wierd... I managed to get @20# of quahogs, though. Now I wonder if they are safe to eat! When I got back to the house in Matunuck, there was a newspaper about the state of the Narragansett bay. Very interesting reading....and what timing after that dive!

Anyone else get out??? How's cape ann??

wow thats odd..
i hope theres not some problem with the shellfish

the stuffies are going to be amazing...these are some of the biggest 'hogs i've had in a while.

cook them very well! :no

Wth all of the rain we have had, the Bay is going to be "mucked up" until we get a spell of dry weather. We went out Friday night to Castle Hill. The vis above 30 feet was lousy but when you got below 50 feet it was not bad at all, maybe 15'. We all got a few Lobsters and I saw a few Nudibranchs up in the shallows.
On Saturday we were headed to the Wreck of the Trojan off of Cuttyhunk. As soon as we cleared Beavertail the wind picked up hard out of the SW so we dropped anchor at the Llewellyn Howland instead. Were we ever surprised to see a solid 25' of vis when we got to the bottom. There were baitfish everywhere. In addition, there were decent numbers of Tautog and Stripers swimming around for the entire dive. On the second
dive we went up to Rose Island to get in some calmer water. That dive stunk!

johnnyseko:
Anyone else get out??? How's cape ann??

Nice report, Johnny. How are your water temps now ?

Hey, Gidds should have the scoop on North Shore diving by now .... I sent her a nice book on Cape Ann dive sites several months ago. Now that school's done, I'm sure she must have a least a dozen dives or so there :wink: BTW ... I thought that you were supposed to lay off the shellfish during months that didn't have an "r" in it :huh:

We'll see you in So Cal in couple months, dude.

riguerin:
Nice report, Johnny. How are your water temps now ?

Hey, Gidds should have the scoop on North Shore diving by now .... I sent her a nice book on Cape Ann dive sites several months ago. Now that school's done, I'm sure she must have a least a dozen dives or so there :wink: BTW ... I thought that you were supposed to lay off the shellfish during months that didn't have an "r" in it :huh:

We'll see you in So Cal in couple months, dude.

Really looking forward to So Cal!!

Temps here are probably similar...depending where you go....RI or Mass, 62F - 48F.

I think those temps are still a little too cold for Gidds, even when she's layered in the thickest undergarment in her drysuit..:shakehead

Do any months end with an "r" around here??? Seriously, I dont think there is a 'season' for shellfish. Only certain areas that get closed and max take per person. At least in RI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom