RI diving this weekend? (8/19)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa_j

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello there,
Jeff and I will be finding ourselves in RI for an event on Saturday, and I thought it would be fun to camp out somewhere and dive Sunday morning.
Anything going on?

Lisa

Thanks John, perhaps I will check them out.

Anyone with possible camping suggestions?

Yup, Ft Getty was the first thing that came to my mind. Here's a link. You could dive Wetherill, Bull Point, or Beavertail which are near the park. I know I have seen postings of diving from Ft Getty, but I've never done it so can't make any recommendations.

I couldn't find any camping on Newport near diving. Too bad because I was thinking Brenton Point would be great to camp at and then walk across the street and dive....oh well....closes at sunset.

Then, Narragansett has camping here but I'm not sure on 'good' dive sites in the immediate area. Pier 5, Hazard Ave, and others that I can't think of the names right now. Maybe someone else can recommend some 'gansett dive sites.

Been so long since I've been diving around here....:popcorn:

johnnyseko:
Pier 5, Hazard Ave, and others that I can't think of the names right now.

Bass Rock Road is another nice one in Narragansett. Bass Rock Road is off of Ocean Road a little ways south of Hazard Ave and a little before the Black Point fishing area) and Scarborough Beach.

The walk to the water is a bit of an ankle buster and it is pretty exposed so you have to pick your days. Head south from the entry and there are these weird fields of bedrock outcrops scattered over a sandy bottom. To the north you can dive along the face of Bass Rock. Shallow site (15-30ft) , usually fairly decent vis when the seas are calm.

Pier 5 is really easy. Simple entry by the boat ramp just south of Narrgansett Town Beach on Ocean Road (next to Monahan's clam shack). Depth is probably 25 feet max unless you swim way the heck out. Bottom is cobble and boulders covered in algae. It makes for a nice night dive, but it is exposed and shallow so surge can be an issue if the seas aren't calm.

Hazard is a beautiful site, but it is absolutely 100% for calm days only and the entry/exit can be a bit dangerous even on good days. Don't try it unless you are really comfortable shore diving and are in reasonably good shape.

Thanks guys!
We're going to look into Ft Getty I think. Not sure which dive site yet...maybe we'll check them all out and then decide. Or maybe we'll just do them all. The world is our oyster.

Hope to see some tropicals!!

RIOceanographer:
Bass Rock Road is another nice one in Narragansett.

That's the one!! I've gotta get back there sometime. I liked that site.:)

I am going to be doing a little vacation with my sister in Newport this weekend. Is there anyone who would be up for diving somewhere that doesn't require camping out for the night?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom