rib fracture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
I've just gotten over a nasty cold that laid me low over the past 2 2 1/2 weeks - and to add insult to injury, I have a rib fracture that was brought about by my coughing during the cold.

My doctor informed me that it will take about 6 weeks for the fracture to fully heal, and I am not to swim (which I do daily, for exercise) for about 3 weeks, depending on the pain/discomfort at that point. Ugh - I've not been able to swim for the past 2 1/2 weeks (due to the cold) - plus another 3 weeks?! The inactivity is driving me up the wall!

My doctor (does not dive) also said that I shouldn't dive for 6 weeks - but seemed to be under the impression I would be carrying tanks around during a shore dive. I guess my question is - if the pain has fully resolved and I am back swimming with no discomfort (say, in 4 weeks), is there other reasons why I shouldn't dive for another 2 weeks after that? The majority of my diving is off of a boat, and other than from my seat to the platform and back, I don't handle any really heavy stuff - it's all done by the DMs.

Chepar, I am certainly NOT medically qualified to comment, but I do recall seeing something here a while back involving other bone breaks/fractures. Aside from the pain and possible reinjury issues, I think there was something about DSC implications for the area where the healing is taking place. You might want to do a search...

Having "survived" a few fractured ribs (including one broken by a fit of coughing, like you) I can attest to the ongoing care you need to take care of them. I don't know of any way to "splint" or otherwise protect them while they heal. My understanding is that the only think that holds the broken bits in place are the muscles that wrap your chest. As a result, anything that moves those muscles can result in motion at the fracture site ("that would be bad").

I would suggest cough suppressant, if you are not already on it.

There certainly is a risk of re-fracturing them as they heal. I am not an MD, but I would say to stay away from anything strenuous if you feel any pain when you very deeply inhale and exhale or move your torso. Certainly scuba, as it may place somewhat greater strain on your ribcage as you ascend and decend.

As I said, I'm only a sufferer, not a healer -- trust professional medical advice over mine...

jeffsterinsf once bubbled...
There certainly is a risk of re-fracturing them as they heal. I am not an MD, but I would say to stay away from anything strenuous if you feel any pain when you very deeply inhale and exhale or move your torso. Certainly scuba, as it may place somewhat greater strain on your ribcage as you ascend and decend.

I guess this point is more of what I was wondering - if I can start swimming in 3 weeks, and hypothetically if I am up to full speed (swimming) at around 4 weeks, is the breathing that you do while exerting yourself while swimming any deeper (inhaling and exhaling) than what you may be doing while diving? Does the pressure at depth play any part?

I push myself to a pretty good workout when I swim (at least I think so, but hey, I could really be a turtle for all I know) - a mile in about 40 minutes. However, once I get back in the water I'm sure I'm going to be all out of shape again and it's going to take a bit to get up to full speed.

I guess I'll just wait the 6 weeks to dive. ;-0

Howdy chepar:

I can't contradict advice that your personal physician gave you, but I can provide some general information.

There is, of course, a concern about diving with a bad cold and congestion. It is possible that even after resolution of the acute symptoms residual congestion or airway irritation could lead to an increased risk of lung, sinus, or ear barotrauma. Return to diving should be delayed until there is a complete resolution of congestion and inflammation- however long that is.

As I'm sure you've figured out, rib fractures can be a real problem. As jeffsterinsf already pointed out, you can't really split a rib fracture, and they can take their time in healing. Generally once a rib fracture has healed (barring any associated lung injury) a diver can return to diving- but again that time period is variable.

Sorry to not be more specific.

HTH,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom