Rig Diving and Jazz fest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am putting a New Orleans Rig tip together for May 3-5, 2002. This is also Jazz fest weekend so all hotel bookings need to be done very shortly. Travel day is Friday, dive day is Saturday.

Here is more info on the dive trip. Thanks to kcbdiver.

We actually have access to two boats that run out of Venice, LA (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away from New Orleans). One is a 36' foot six pack and the other is a 42' boat that holds 10. Usually both are one day trips although overnight trips are available. Both boats leave at 6 a.m. and return between 3 and 5 p.m. They generally go 25 - 30 miles into the Gulf so you will see blue water. They provide an ice chest full of ice to put snacks, lunch and soft drinks in, fishing poles, and bait - so you can fish during your surface interval. Both also have BBQ pits on the back so if you want to bring steaks, ribs or cook the fish you just speared, you can. At the rigs, you can spearfish, photograph, or just take a tour of the Gulf. You will see redfish, look downs, tarpon, lemon fish, lobster, barracuda, lots of tropical fish and maybe even a
shark - black tip, sand tiger, or bull.

While we dive year round, peak Gulf diving is April through October. During the beginning of spring, late fall and winter when the troughs come from the Artic, they push the Mississippi River water further into the Gulf. That's when you will see this tea looking water which we call the murk layer. While this layer exists virtually year round, depending on the weather, the degree is worse early spring, late fall, and winter.

I can arrange accommodations at the Lighthouse Lodge in Venice for you. The room rates vary from $45 - 55 per night which is way cheaper than the marina. Trip costs $120.00 for the 36' boat and $150.00 for the 42' foot boat. While I cannot do anything about these costs, I can help with tank rental, weights and anything else you may need from the dive shop. There is no fill station on board either boat. The boats recommend 3 tanks for sightseeing and 4 tanks for spearfishing. Make sure that you bring gloves in case you need to grab the rig. Most of the coral
formations are hard so better be safe than sorry. You may also want to bring a light. One more thing, if you are planning to come next summer, please contact me early if a group is going as we have spearfishing rodeos planned by the various clubs at least once in June, July, August, and September and both boats are always booked.

A picture of the 36' foot boat is on The Scuba Company's website at www.thescubaco.net.

If the trip gets cancelled we can always enjoy more of Jazz fest.

Warhammer, is this close enough to you for you to join us? Love to make a dive with ya.

Tom

I knew there was some reason that date sounded familiar.

Just found out I have a function I have to attend on May 5th so I won't be able to go. Rats!

And I love jazz, too! Rats!

And I've never been to New Orleans, either! Rats!

And I've been wanting to make a rig dive, too! Rats!

I've got 4 people interested. I would love to get two more so we can at least fill the 6 pack.

The list so far,

CavernQT (Tabitha)
TexasMike
My wife and I

One of the rigs they hit sometimes is the largest production platform complex in the gulf. Truely a site to see and a chance to see some big fish.

Tom

Tom....

I forgot....do I need to get you a deposit for this?

Also, need you to send me housing details.

I'll be driving Friday. Its about a 10 1/2 hr run for us. I'm not sure if I'll have riders or not. Michelle may fly down early to spend some time with family. I'll be hauling my 4 tanks, and probably tanks for Mike. Tab if you want me to haul tanks ya gotta get them to me.

Tom

We have five going. Room for one more if your interested.

I need a $100 deposit. As soon as you can get it to me.

The full fee will be refunded if the trip is cancelled due to weather. We all know how capricious the gulf can be that time of year.

Tom

This trip is still going and we still have room for one more. We are getting close.

Contact me if your interested.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom