Ringing in the ears (Tinictinitus?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamore

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Doc

Is there any cure for (I hope I am spelling it right?) Tinicinnitus (sounds like thousands of tiny bells ringing or a high pitched whistle)?

Aquamore:help:

Lets see what the doc has to say!

:doctor: :confused:

Aquamore

Hi Aquamore,

I believe that would be the dreaded "tinnitus." I know about it as I have it bilaterally, and mine is related to diving, mostly from inappropriate equalization during my early years.

Tinnitus is the medical term used to describe the sensation of ringing, roaring, low-pitched hissing, chirping, screeching, or even musical sounds when such sounds are not externally present.

It can be caused by a wide variety of events, such as certain drugs, wax in the ear canal, exposure to loud noises, tears in various membranes within the ear, or damage to the acoustic nerve itself. It can be temporary or permanent. In the latter case, treatment of the condition is not as effective as medicine would like.

Tinnitus & a sensation of fullness or plugging can & do result from damage to the ear secondary to improper clearing/equalization while diving, so be careful in this regard.

As for treatment, to the best of my knowledge nothing consistently very effective has been discovered thus far. Some medications have proven effective for some sufferers, but most of these are drugs not especially compatible with scuba due to sedative effects & the like. Some the most useful approaches are behavioral in nature, such as biofeedback & cognitive therapy.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such. The cause & possible treatment of persistent symptoms is best determined by a physician expert in disorders of the ear, known as an ENT. Until the basis for an ear disorder has been diagnosed, and clearance to dive is obtained from a qualified physician, it is prudent to refrain from scuba.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Thanks for your reply Doc

I only have it in my left ear. I got mine several decades ago when a careless colleague fired a rifle close to my ear and I wasn't wearing ear protection.

Initially the Doc told me it would go away after a few days but a week later he said it may take months or indeed never go away at all.

I can handle it OK at the moment :confused: but I heard it drove Mozart mad in the latter stages of his life.

I have had this for about 26 years now but fortunately I was barking mad before that, :D so I am not too worried. I was just wondering if any new practices, methods or medicine had come to light in the last few years

Aquamore

Hi Aquamore,

Well, in an oddly poetic twist, having Mozart playing in the background as much as possible could be very effective in masking the tinnitus.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Great to see you have a sense of humour too:doctor: :)

I just can't find the volume contol on the Harpsicord!
:confused:

Aquamore,
I had the problem in my left ear for many years after wearing headphones to listen to music. It did go away, but took several years.

I Live in hopes that it might go away one day!

;-0
Aquamore:boom: :)

Hi aquamore,

I hope that you get permanent relief as well, but be aware that carlislere appears extraordinarily fortunate.

I do not believe it is the expectation that bona fide tinnitus of several years duration will spontaneously remit.

In the meantime, bring on the harpsichords.

Again, best of luck.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom