Rinsing your BCD with antibacterial flush?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's the case on mine. Stayed dry for a year, dived 15 times in fresh water with no rinsing, then flushed it with fresh water and it sits again for a year.

The question is, why should it matter?

Because if I suck air out my wing to pack it and 3 days later, 2 days into my Caribbean dive trip, develop a nasty cough, that is going to suck. And I actually had an atypical immune response to a bug once, spent 3 days on iv in cardio ward and then 2 weeks shooting myself up with antibiotics via a picc line. Getting something like that in someplace like Honduras would suck hard.

I fully agree that it's all very unlikely and I'm willing to pay an extra nickel to make it even less likely.

Well, that's the case on mine. Stayed dry for a year, dived 15 times in fresh water with no rinsing, then flushed it with fresh water and it sits again for a year.

The question is, why should it matter?
Beyond the question of infection consider this, mold and mildew itself will damage the material it grows on.

Last edited:
Beyond the question of infection consider this, mold and mildew itself will damage the material it grows on.
it depends upon the material. it would be interesting to see a reference to what things can harm bcd material

simplest solution is to simply unscrew your shoulder valve and let things dry.

simplest solution is to simply unscrew your shoulder valve and let things dry.

why didn't you tell me that before I went and bought a gallon of that stuff...

Because if I suck air out my wing to pack it and 3 days later, 2 days into my Caribbean dive trip, develop a nasty cough, that is going to suck.
Then maybe just... don't suck air out? Just fold it while opening the dump? Do you also suck air out of air mattresses or do you simply roll them while pressing on them like every normal camper does?

Sure, PU can be "eaten" by bacteria apparently (I didn't look up the rate).
But so will acids and bases, which are what is often used to clean (eg bleach).

This is what a quick google search got me
Several reports have appeared in the literature on the susceptibility of PUs to fungal attack [7, 29, 30]. These studies revealed that polyester-type PUs are more susceptible to fungal attack than other forms. In addition, polyether PUs were noted to be moderately too highly resistant. Boubendir [31] isolated enzymes with esterase and urethane hydrolase activities from the fungi Chaetomium globosum and Aspergillus terreus. These organisms did not grow solely on PU and the enzymes had to be induced. Induction of the enzymes was accomplished by addition of liquid polyester PU to the growth media. Activity of the enzymes was determined by assays based on ethyl carbamate (urethane) as artificial substrate.
In a large-scale test of bacterial activity against PUs, Kay et al [34] investigated the ability of 16 bacterial isolates to degrade polyester-PU. Seven of the isolates tested degraded PU when the media was supplemented with yeast extract. Two isolates, Corynebacterium sp. and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, could degrade PU in the presence of basal media. However, noneof the isolates grew on PU alone
(bold by me)
https://southeastern.edu/acad_research/depts/biol/faculty/publications/pdf/2011/howard2011.pdf

Needless to say, I'm not too worried there.

I have taken in air from my BCD on occasion when I practice oral inflation. BTW, oral inflation requires some technique when you're out there bobbing around in the water...you might want to practice it...

- Bill

Sure, PU can be "eaten" by bacteria apparently (I didn't look up the rate).
But so will acids and bases, which are what is often used to clean (eg bleach).

This is what a quick google search got me

(bold by me)
https://southeastern.edu/acad_research/depts/biol/faculty/publications/pdf/2011/howard2011.pdf
Between the risk of damage a quick disinfectant rinse can do and the damage from chronic mold growth, I'll take risk with the rinse.

Needless to say, I'm not too worried there.

I admit my point of view is a bit skewed since I work in the medical field where hygiene is a professional and ethical requirement and the morbidity and mortality from the "unlikely" is seen almost daily.

Seriously, how can you argue against disinfecting any equipment. Rinsing a bladder takes about 5 extra minutes at the end of a dive trip. That's about an hour in a year for me, if I'm lucky. I don't see a down side unless the diver doesn't know how to remove and replace a threaded connection.

I see downsides and listed them above:
- waste of water
- waste of time
- waste of money
- usually negative impact on environment, even if it's a small one, it's an unnecessary one.

I see downsides and listed them above:
- waste of water
- waste of time
- waste of money
- usually negative impact on environment, even if it's a small one, it's an unnecessary one.
Hmmm. That some interesting logical and attempts at justification for your actions or inactions.

By all means, proceed with your current gear maintenance. I promise not to laugh or say I told you so if you end up sick in my office after a dive trip.

Back
Top Bottom