Rip cord weight system - how does it work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agility

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering getting an Express Tech harness and Capt.Gene recommended the rip cord weight system for divers with broad backs (as me) in http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...c-most-will-ever-need-want-6.html#post6244763.Now I cannot figure out from the pictures I have seen on the Zeagle site how the simultaneous release of both weights works. I like to keep important items simple and the Zip touch is simple but might lie on my hips instead of lowering the weights beneath my COG, so I would like to know the potential failure points before deciding.Living in Austria my next Zeagle dealer is more than an hour's trip away :depressed: else I would have gone there to have a look.

I love my Zeagle stiletto. It uses the rip cord system and it works fine although restringing it is a bit of a pain after dumping the weights. There are utube presentations that show how to do it quite efficiently. Be sure to get "yellow thingys" as they are called to hold the weights in the pockets. For some reason they are not always included with the BC. I chose the smaller 12 lb bags.

On a side note, I have never had to drop my weights nor do I know anyone that has had to drop their weights. I've read about cases of down wellings where the diver felt it was necessary, but it is EXTREMELY RARE to need to do so. I chose the stiletto because I like the pockets and the option of placing weights (non ditchable) on the back which makes hanging around of the surface a bit more comfortable. I have to travel (rather I choose to travel because I like warm tropical water) to dive and the stiletto packs down small enough that I could not be happier.

A cord is threaded through loops at he bottom of open pockets, closing them. A handle is attached to the cord at the left side of the diver's BC. When the diver wants to dump weights, he/she pulls the rip cord with their right hand, the cord unthreads through the loops, opening the pockets at the bottom and dumping the weights out. (The cord has a stop at the end, thus doesn't come completely free.) Rethreading is easy.

The only real failure point that I know is that small weights may fall through the threading, but you can get a mesh weight pouch that fits in the pocket and prevents this from happening. Since you load your weights through zippers at the top of the pocket, you never have to worry about your entire weight pocket from falling out (like on other weight integrated BCs).

I went with the zip touch over the rip cord. My biggest issue with the rip cord system is that it drops all your weight at once, plus I only use the Tech Express in warm water, so I don't need a lot of weight. Both are easy to load and unload with the zipper on top. The zip touch is easier to "recover" after dumping weight, with the rip cord, you are going to have to spend some time rethreading it.

ZeagleHelp

Click on the top link for a video on how the ripcord works.

Like the others have said, people very rarely dump their weights - but even if you do it will only take a few minutes during your surface interval to re-thread it.

I suggest that you practice doing it a couple of times before you ever go diving, just so you understand it. It may seem intimidating, but the truth is, it's quite easy.

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you, I had missed the help section on the Zeagle site.
I was more concerned of unintentionally losing the lead.
I think if I ever should need to dump my weight it will be at the surface and then it does not matter to dump all at once.

Realistically if you are in a situation where you need to dump weight, you're going to want to get rid of as much as you can, as quickly as you can...and it'll be at the surface. Even the tank band pockets have a way of dumping quickly, though your buddy will have to do it for you.

I went with the zip touch over the rip cord. My biggest issue with the rip cord system is that it drops all your weight at once, plus I only use the Tech Express in warm water, so I don't need a lot of weight. Both are easy to load and unload with the zipper on top. The zip touch is easier to "recover" after dumping weight, with the rip cord, you are going to have to spend some time rethreading it.

In the rip-cord system you can just unzip the weight pocket and dump some of the weight from the top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom