Riviera Maya First Timer Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've lurked these forums from time to time but this is my first post, so please let me know if I violate any policies or protocols!

My BF and I hope to visit the Mayan Riviera area for some diving and surface touring. Leaving So Cal Feb 24, returning Mar 3 or 4 depending on flights. I've been web surfing but it's hard to choose a package based on only their own website! So, we are hoping for recommendations or warnings-off.

Being basically lazy, we typically sign up for all-inclusive packages including lodging, meals, and diving when we dive-travel, then take advantage of surface excursions depending on our mood and availability. We seek value rather than "bargains," if that helps, and enjoy new experiences of most kinds. We are active photographers, both under and above water, and my BF is getting into video. I have logged something over 100 dives (OK, I don't actually log them much) and the BF has been diving off and on since 1961.

The Cenotes are definitely on the "must do" list. What else, specifically, in not to be missed?

I assume we fly into Cancun? Is it easy to find trasnport from there?

I have not been to Cozumel either. Is it realistic to do both destinations in one trip?

Thanks for any info! Feel free to email me directly if preferred: ANDIDVM@aol.com

I've been to Playa Del Carmen and Coz twice. Both times I flew into Cancun and took the bus down to PDC. The bus was nice and easy and drops you off a couple of blocks from the ferry to Coz. Traveling back and forth between Coz and PDC is really easy on the ferry. If you do a quick search you'll find a lot of info on the bus a ferry services.

Been to Playa DC 12 times now-Cenotes are a must. Check out www.GoCenotes.com
They are wonderful people. Took 32 to Whale Shark dive last year, had a wonderful time.

The all inclusive hotels can be fun but expensive for what they are. And there are so many good restaurants in Playa it would be a shame to miss!! Most of the dive shops here offer cenote tours. Cenotes are definitely a must!! There's a wreck dive that would be fun for underwater photography - and the turtles of course! ATV tours in the jungle are fun but not always for everyone, Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Aviary, the Ruins in Tulum....
There's lots to see and do here!

As far as all-inclusives, we've stayed at Excellence Riviera Maya on 2 different occasions and its been great. One of the few all-inclusives where you're actually getting great food, top-shelf liquor, etc. You would fly into Cancun and grab a bus for an 30-min. ride to the resort.

A great wealth of information on any resort is Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor. We always see what all the traveler reviews say about a potential resort before we book it. Be sure to read a number of the posts, because people will tell you buildings to stay in or avoid at each resort. A very helpful guide for anyone traveling.

Cenotes are a definite must, but there's also an old minesweeper wreck that's a great dive. It lies in approx. 100 ft of water and is an easy swim through if you're experienced. Have fun.

lillian< Just sent a description on another thread, Dirk and anna at divemex.com can do all you need, Cozumel, cenote, playa del diving in packages, If your not up to diving one day Let them Know and they cange It instantly, dirk has ties with all types of hotels.

I call him and say I will be there in two days, for $120 We are picked up at airport, stop at store get beer for ride to hotel, meet dirk, let him know if I changed my mind, to set up a different dive, or land tour, good food dealsa in the area.

The bus runs all the time, cheaper like $10 if you want to take luggage to the hotel depending on your area. I stay one block from diveshop and leave gear there all week.

Out of forty or more dive shops I have been to divemex has Brand new scubapro 550 reg sets all knew BCd's, there rental gear is always Knew they never have to play with or fix at all. For $15 a day for everything to go scuba diving, you can travel light And take the bus and walk to your Hotel.

Divemex has what it takes to give you a fablous dive vacation, They Know many Languages, So there is know confusion.

Leave your Phone number on an E-mail If you must talk to them directly, And they will call you, where ever you live in the world.

Happy Vacation

Dirk and anna are not dive guides, They both dive, we were going to dive in cozumel with dirk at devils throat, At the last minute I told him I wanted to to another cave dive. thats how flexable divemex is. Same with accomendations or just about anything.

Yes it is Divemex.net

We've dove in QR a few times and Cozumel - in Cozumel there is only one person to dive with! Freddy is A#1 - Zen master of dive instructors... freddy Contreras [coralifero@yahoo.com.mx].

Good luck and don't take our spot....

I've lurked these forums from time to time but this is my first post, so please let me know if I violate any policies or protocols!

My BF and I hope to visit the Mayan Riviera area for some diving and surface touring. Leaving So Cal Feb 24, returning Mar 3 or 4 depending on flights. I've been web surfing but it's hard to choose a package based on only their own website! So, we are hoping for recommendations or warnings-off.

Being basically lazy, we typically sign up for all-inclusive packages including lodging, meals, and diving when we dive-travel, then take advantage of surface excursions depending on our mood and availability. We seek value rather than "bargains," if that helps, and enjoy new experiences of most kinds. We are active photographers, both under and above water, and my BF is getting into video. I have logged something over 100 dives (OK, I don't actually log them much) and the BF has been diving off and on since 1961.

The Cenotes are definitely on the "must do" list. What else, specifically, in not to be missed?

I assume we fly into Cancun? Is it easy to find trasnport from there?

I have not been to Cozumel either. Is it realistic to do both destinations in one trip?

Thanks for any info! Feel free to email me directly if preferred: ANDIDVM@aol.com

Not much time before you leave, but here is my best shot:

Cenotes: Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya
Best Forum for the Mayan Riviera: Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info
Must see: Chichzen Itza (see playa.info tours), but Ek Balam is a very close second.
Best local's restaurant: El Fogon or HC Monterey in Playa Del Carmen
Transfer from CUN: How much is your vacation time worth? Bite the bullet and take a cab. Set the price BEFORE you get in, for the Playa area shoot for $75US

Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom