Rix SA-6 Parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here you go. I've purchased from this seller before, he is straight up and honest to deal with

Yeah right. And he is selling you a 40 year old SA before even the A series.
Good luck with spares for it dude.
Its scrap don't even try and pull that one

Straight up and honest answer.

So what do you have to say about mine that I posted pictures of? I don't think it's that old... any idea?

Thanks.

I'm more curious what a Rix would cost if all of the soft goods didn't have to go through the full inspection process for the military and costing about 40x what they would for a normal diver.
Not sure I agree with your 40x pricing. But we don't work for bowls of rice over here.
But again you have to consider it's a complex procedure.

Just take Hydro Testing by example.
The full mil-spec inspection program in addition to the standard IPP would require hydro testing of each of the four cooling coils, hydro testing of each of the heads and the piston liners. Recorded test with certificate for the three relief valves and a comparator or dead weight calibration test on the pressure gauge/gauges

By contrast you would only need hydro testing of the two separators for commercial use.

Run up test of 3 hours against say around 15 minutes to 20 minutes for a commercial sports compressor

Seals and gaskets: Each O-ring has a cure date a specific compound reference and a limited shelf life. Sealed and bagged individually in clean non conductive packaging with cure date and compound printed on the label. Against a commercial sport compressor using imported and unknown polymers no idea of date of manufacture and a wild ass guess on the quality and storage from the commercial supplier.

At a rough (accurate) guess your talking retail price less than a Bauer or Poseidon and closer to the Alkin and Coltri range. Taking also into account for the distributor retail profit margin.

CE marking retail packaging and a coloured end user manual would have to be included.

But 5 nights away doing a DEMA show in Orlando each year to faceless Hawaiian tee shirts in shorts with their trophy wives and the occasional short bald headed guy with an arm full of tattoos in a black tee shirt showing some such skull and bones in a half mask in a cave? Yeah right I can't wait...Not. Iain

I did. But don't get mislead by the "badge" you see. Only the "boss" was bought in from Denmark
The blades were from another supplier and the assembly was welded at a local supplier to us.
Hence why you cannot find it on your Google search I guess.
Honestly didn't look for it, like I said, I replaced mine with an electric fan since I have it running at such a low rpm but was curious when you were talking about fans which one was still in the parts bin. Good to know it's one of the good ones if I ever decide to run it up to full speed. It is highly unlikely though as the compressor is not something that I can reasonably expect to maintain for another 30 years if they pull parts support.

For the 40x, I think it is about 40x for the o-rings which is completely fair given the requirements for paper trail and individual bagging but largely unnecessary for commercial applications.
If Rix or even you announced something akin to a Bauer Oceanus, so 4-5cfmish, rated to maintain at least 2x 4500psi cascade bottles, and priced around $7k I would probably buy one today. There are probably few that could/would though and while the ability to mount in any orientation and being oil-less would be nice for fire departments, you would have to make it a 4-stage pump to deal with 6kpsi cascades and that pumps the cost up to almost double. Weird market, can't blame Rix for not getting into it.

Honestly didn't look for it, like I said, I replaced mine with an electric fan since I have it running at such a low rpm but was curious when you were talking about fans which one was still in the parts bin. Good to know it's one of the good ones if I ever decide to run it up to full speed. It is highly unlikely though as the compressor is not something that I can reasonably expect to maintain for another 30 years if they pull parts support.

For the 40x, I think it is about 40x for the o-rings which is completely fair given the requirements for paper trail and individual bagging but largely unnecessary for commercial applications.
If Rix or even you announced something akin to a Bauer Oceanus, so 4-5cfmish, rated to maintain at least 2x 4500psi cascade bottles, and priced around $7k I would probably buy one today. There are probably few that could/would though and while the ability to mount in any orientation and being oil-less would be nice for fire departments, you would have to make it a 4-stage pump to deal with 6kpsi cascades and that pumps the cost up to almost double. Weird market, can't blame Rix for not getting into it.

Prices for some things are stupid, but they're not that bad.. I priced up to rebuild pistons of both 1st and 2nd stage yesterday and the toal comes to $172.70 (not the heads, just the pistons). Stupid cost for what it is parts wise, but not unbearable. 3rd stage would be a different story.

It's a shame it's discontinued and so hard to obtain... to me and my limited experience it really is the perfect, almost idiot proof little pump. Oiless, run at any rpm, mount in any orientation... what more could you want?

After hearing all these horror stories about 40 year old junk I feel like I just lucked out. Would be awesome if someone somewhere picked up the design and started making something with the same concept.

I can't give you another 30 years I can only trust in getting my three score years and ten.
But I have given an undertaking that if Rix stop supply we will have to take up the slack if nothing else as we still have contractual commitments for 20 year service parts contracts and support for the SA designates for our military and for pure air applications where we produce liquid air in the process and for laboratory requirements for atmospheric air monitoring measuring in the PPB range.
There is an easy solution, stop calling it the SA-6. Rix did conclude while they have the drawings no reason why they just shouldn't just carry on supply if a demand continues.

There is a post here on Rix O-rings I should explain on it further more fully

On the commercial compressor side I would be happy doing installations I have a bucket list of exotic Island that really need my expertise Fiji would be first on the list but I fear I would be crushed in the rush.

Both the SA-6 and SA-3 would have to be included IMHO one to match the live aboard market using simple tools, simple parts kits long life 200+ filter life cartridges or re pack, or regenerative chemicals
I miss our friends on their super yachts in South of France Nice Cannes and Monaco and the like doing compressor and deco chamber service. The yachts in the berths either side always think I'm the owner when I turn up. Old grumpy and with no suntan. He's got to be the owner. Bless.

We should also take another look at this Moist Air comment if I can find it again, it needs a better explanation.

Pricing more around the MCH6 than the Oceanus from the last engineering review.
But that was excluding shipping and dealers margins. Iain

IMG_9587.jpeg

Prices for some things are stupid, but they're not that bad.. I priced up to rebuild pistons of both 1st and 2nd stage yesterday and the toal comes to $172.70 (not the heads, just the pistons). Stupid cost for what it is parts wise, but not unbearable. 3rd stage would be a different story.

It's a shame it's discontinued and so hard to obtain... to me and my limited experience it really is the perfect, almost idiot proof little pump. Oiless, run at any rpm, mount in any orientation... what more could you want?

After hearing all these horror stories about 40 year old junk I feel like I just lucked out. Would be awesome if someone somewhere picked up the design and started making something with the same concept.
Heck Rob

I've got more spares than a Doomsday Prepper. Relax will you. Iain

Attachments

• IMG_9587.jpeg
    IMG_9587.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 44
View attachment 762483

Heck Rob

I've got more spares than a Doomsday Prepper. Relax will you. Iain

I wasn't talking about parts hard to obtain, I was talking about the compressor itself.

Send me some parts!!!! What I would give to spend a day (or a week) shadowing you. What you would give to not have that happen:rofl3:

Do you have any pictures of the pistons out (and assembled)?

Here is the part about "humid air" circled in red. It's my limited understanding that the navy used aluminum tanks and welcomed the "moist" air as opposed to the super dry air that compressors are known for?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    623.4 KB · Views: 39
@iain/hsm my parts list to rebuild the 1st / 2nd stages... unless you say I need something else? Is there another "while you're in there" part I should replace?

1st stage;
18-C1791-24B
123-230-5
18-B2117-1B

2nd stage;
18-C1791-10B
123-313-5
123-210-5
18-B2117-2B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom