Road to Hana after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 roads to Hana????? must be a secret from us Hawaiianz,,,, unless you mean the dirt road that usually washes out

Yup, I'm an idiot. I was thinking of the roads to Hilo. What a moran!

I was in Maui this spring and drove the road to Hana the morning after a day of diving Molokini and Turtle Town (2 dives, 130 feet on the deepest). We decided to do the road to Hana the next day and waited until the day after the Hana drive to do Haleakala. I didn't have any problems and if I remember correctly the altitude increase was not too much. That of course is no guarantee you wont have problems. :)

But as someone else said, don't do Haleakala the next day. And if you do do it bring warm clothes!

Nathan

To add a quick note on the numbers side:

Driving to the summit of Haleakala is actually *worse* than flying in a commercial jetliner, as has been discussed elsewhere on the board.

Except in the case of a catastrophic decompression, the cabin of a commercial airplane is pressurized to approximately 8,000' or lower. Haleakala, being a 10,023' summit, is under less atmospheric pressure than when you're on an airplane.

According to the NOAA tables there is a required surface interval before ascending beyind 1000ft if you are preassure group "I" or higher.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

BTW: The dirt portion of the road is generally fine. A little narrow in a few spots though....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom