Road-Trippable Dive Sites for North Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is to help create a list of dive sites that would be within easy "road trip" distance of the North Texas area (read Dallas/Ft Worth).

For the purpose of the list, I'm thinking of driving times less than 6 hours (this includes much of general Texas, I know). I'm hoping to get information on places that many of us don't know that much about, but are decent dive sites. Especially in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisianna, etc.

So if you have a favorite place where folks like myself, TwoBit, Texass, ScubaTexan, Zagnut, et al. could load up the trucks and travel to for a weekend of diving, please list them.

If you have it, provide the following information:
  • Site name
  • Closest city or major road intersection (so we can find it on a map)
  • Shore and u/w conditions to be expected
  • Shop support (or air fill info)
  • Website or any other sources of additional info
If we build up a good list here in the thread, I'll gather up all of the detail and create a document that Dee or another moderator can make available on a permanent basis.

To start, we already know the info on places like Scuba Point at PK, CSSP, ASP, Travis. But I personally don't have enough info on places like Canyon Lake, Comal, Lake Murry, Texhoma, Tenkiller, and others. So any info you got is much appreciated.

hey mike

count me into that list because i wouldnt mind exploring some new places, plus i can offer my cooking/ bartending services and equipment. also if you dont mind me bringing my school books and laptop.

let me know
Dan

Definitely. And if you're a drysuiter, we could always head somewhere in the winter.

Near Gore, OK.

Stayed at Tenkiller state park.

Boat dives off of supposed underwater town site: Viz 6 - 8 feet, 70 deg at 30 foot thermo (June).

Shore dives off of swim beach at Hickory Flats in Tenkiller State Park: Viz slightly better, grattos.

Dam: Thermo at 40', viz opened up to 15-20 at 55 feet.

A fullservice dive shop is about 15 miles from the state park in Cookson. Air and nitrox fills are available right outside the park.

Tenkiller State Park map

mike i dont have a drysuit yet but once i finish my DM course im looking to get one, most likely around the time of the dui demo, im currently looking at a DUI 450 sig

bringing this back to top of the heap.

Still want as many contributions as you folks can come up with.

...beep....beep.... beep... Sinus rhythm doctor...

One last bump on this thread to see if we can breath some life back into this thread... otherwise will sign the DNR

--Texas "Yes, I'm addicted to "E.R.", how could you tell?" Mike

TexasMike once bubbled...
...beep....beep.... beep... Sinus rhythm

:doctor: beep beep beep and Sinus rhythm? That's all it took?

There is a place that I have heard of from a gym instructor that I will check more into. I haven't heard of any other divers speak of it. It's a park in West Texas that's 2 hrs from Ft.Worth so I think that should be under 6 hours. I'll find out more about it if ya want to know. Vague info I know but I'll try to help you on your way to Sinus Rhythm. :)

Apparently not...let it die in peace!

:doctor: You must ask the family first before you let him go. Especially if a beep beep beep caused Sinus Rhythm. Have we checked the pulse lately?

So, what's the vote swampers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom