Roatan: 1st time report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from my first trip to Roatan, and while the photos are still being sorted I thought I'd share a few first impressions.

We were there two weeks (21 dives), and stayed at Chillies and dived with Native Sons. I'm very happy with that choice. I don't know much about the other operations in the West End other than what I saw walking by, but this place fit my needs and expectations very well. The cabin was clean and comfortable (and relatively quiet as long as the neighbors kept their TV volume down, and until the roosters got started), and the service was great. This was budget accommodation (otherwise we wouldn't have been able to do 2 weeks), and also very low-impact environmentally.

The diving was fantastic, and many thanks to the DMs Alex and Andrea for being so helpful and accommodating (once we showed that we were basically competent, they would let us do our own thing, site permitting).

I have the highest praise for the owners Alvin and Mish! The way they run their operation is just what I was looking for. Alvin was happy to work with us to fit the dives to our diving style, plus, he's built the best dive boat around.

Now, some things I learned:

We took all our own gear except for weights and tanks. I bought a 3/2 full wetsuit just for this trip. Our steel backplates and large cold water wings are not the ideal rig for warm water diving. My trim was off the whole time; after a while I just stopped fighting to stay horizontal and would just hover vertical. Towards the end I started getting cold, so I added a 3mm shorty over my wetsuit. Next time I'd use a 5mm instead, and probably just rent a BC locally. Water temps were 81 or 82F the whole time.

It was sometimes nice to be the only people in the restaurant, but a bit disturbing to think that these businesses are just hanging by a thread and the whims of people who put too much stock in that stupid state department travel advisory. Alvin was nice enough to take us out in the big boat even if it was just us two, but once again, while it's a real luxury to have a big empty boat just for us, it's troubling to see everyone abandon this place.

Bottom line, I'd go back in a heartbeat, and highly recommend Native Sons diving!

I'm diving with them this Wednesday and was really glad to see your review and recommendations.

Thank you so much for your great review. It was a pleasure having you here as our guests. And thank you also for your nice letter. Alex and Andrea loved the towels. Hope to see you back here again sometime.

Appreciate your review. My friend and I are thinking of going to Roatan in April or May, but I am still reading up about the island, diving, accomodations, etc. The key for us is that we are looking for budget accomodations, flexibility with when we dive etc. Any tips, suggestions, etc. are always appreciated if have :)

I'm diving with them this Wednesday and was really glad to see your review and recommendations.

These guys run a first rate dive operation. It's not as fancy looking as a resort, but you get much more individualized attention. I did two fantastic dives the day I was there.

You get personal attention and small dive groups. It's the way diving should be. Not cattle diving like some of the big resorts.

Andrea is a very good DM who takes the time to make sure everyone is safe and adjusts the dives to accomodate everyone.

Thank you for a great day diving!

Hey Arcoiris, Native Sons is at Hotel Chillies where rooms are $20 - $30 a night for 2 people. Its a simple hotel but clean and safe and on the beach with Native Sons in the front garden. Email me and I can give you some prices.

Hey Thanks guys for the advice, was just checking out the nativeson website. The room rates look great...will email very soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom