Roatan dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I was being flippant.

There is no daylight savings time in Honduras. During the summer we are the same as Central time, during the winter the same as mountain time. So when the US changes the clocks we flip from Central to Mountain time, and I get to the see the simpsons when i get back from work!

US changes on March 8, so I guess you will be changing on that date also??

FWIW, I have done the major dive dive dive vacations such as Roatan, Belize and Cozumel, but I have also done the cruise thing, such as Tahiti and her islands and the Caribbean with family. And yes, I brought all my own trusted gear, even on the cruise -except tanks and weights, of course.

And I am a seasoned extremely cold water Great Lakes diver, despite the stigma associated with anyone who has been diving while cruising.

For the cruises, I never booked through the cruise line for 4 reasons:

1) They are usually about double the price, which is how the cruise line gets paid.

2) They are often cattle boats that can accomodate huge groups, but are not necessarily who the divers think are the best dive ops.

3) The dives offered through the cruise ship are often basic dives, often not dive sites that are highly recommended

4) All divers tend to be lumped in together regardless of qualifications or experience, so the dives accomodate the lowest denominator - the brand new o/w diver.

I did my research, and usually through this board, found the dive operator I wanted to dive with and the dive sites I wanted to see. I emailed the operator, described my qualifications and experience, told them that I wanted to go to a particular site, area or type of dive, and if they could pick me up at the cruise ship at a certain time and drop me back by a certain time. They were always happy to accomodate and I had no issues whatsoever.

As others said, communication in advance is key. The particular c-card does not mean a lot to many operators. Tell them also what kind of experience you have, how recent the experience is, how many dives you have, and where you think you are qualified to dive. :wink:

TN Traveler:
US changes on March 8, so I guess you will be changing on that date also??

The clocks never change in Honduras. They tried this a few years back and it didn't work real well.

What Will is saying is that the clocks on Roatan do not change with the seasons. (a few of them don't run at all, but at least they're accurate twice each day)

If it is easier for you to think of it, from our US perspective they use the United States Central Time in the winter months and then match the Mountain Time zone in summer months.

They do not change, we do.

Does anyone else think it is funny that everyone's got caught up on the time zones when the op is called timetraveller! Anyway, checking your cruisehip time and local time is important on the day you dock, and make sure you tell whoever picks you up what time you need to be back (and clarify if that is local or cruiseship time!)

To answer your questions about Subway Watersports:
What are their dive sites like? They normally dive on the North side, some sites have swimthroughs, others are walls, lots of soft corals and sponges ...
What are their boats like? Pointy at the front :wink: They have several, all of which cater for smaller groups of people. I think there is some information about the boats on their website - Roatan scuba diving snorkeling dive courses Bay Islands Honduras
What are their DMs like? They have several friendly and helpful instructors (again, this may be on the website)
Is it likely that the sites will be chosen to suit the abilities of divers who can show a PADI AOW card or do they assume that everyone who arrives via cruise ship is a newbe? So long as you show them your AOW cert card. Most dives shops always ask on the waiver for your total number of dives and date of last dive - this is so they can ensure that you won't go to a dive site that is beyond your personal limits. As you are advanced they will take this into account when deciding where to go.

I hope this has been helpful for you.

The clocks never change in Honduras.

(a few of them don't run at all, but at least they're accurate twice each day)

They do not change, we do.

I think its more than a few of the clocks that are stopped. Its amazing that the dive boats manage to leave the dock on time in that place. They must have invented "island time" on Roatan.

They must have invented "island time" on Roatan.

You hit on something that is truer than most might know.

I would be pleased to have you read my post, but this guy http://forum.belmont.edu/honduras/2006/01/american_have_the_clock_hondur.html is really a better writer.

It's a combination of political and social histories. Combine these factors.

- A Spanish heritage, language and government of the mainland Honduras proper

- The Bay Islands, which were very, very British before being handed over to the mainland much to the chagrin of the residents, many of whom are still awaiting the return of HRH, the Queen. (not far from the truth)

- The mainland Honduras, which was the original and exact "Banana Republic", operated for the pleasure of US Fruit companies (where they built railroads and infrastructure that were of no value to anyone except their corporations)

- Roatan's settlers, they are the Second "Country Cousins" of the Cayman Islander elite

- The ebb and flow of money on the Bay Islands. Beginning back in the 1940's when the "Merchant Marine" plucked Cayman Islanders, then Bay Islanders to serve. Then into the 60's, when their demand for pay scale matched what the shippers would pay (they have since tapped labor pools in other "later" developing countries). The advent of Red Lobster, which created huge fishing fleets and cannery processing work... which has largely gone away with over fishing.

In a microcosmic element, you used to be able to feel the island change at the end of Shrimping season. A lot of fishermen with a lot of money, returning home with high hopes and sometimes bales of Marijuana that they found floating. As late as 1990, Columbian weed was being given away. The Cola wars (Coke vs Pepsi) began in 1995 (?)

- The road to Fantasy Island (CCV and beyond) ended abruptly in French Harbor. After the "contra war", the leftover bulldozers and some American guilt money built some roads.

ccv_old_138.jpg

With the momentary hot flash of fishing money, a lot of fortunes were made- see Fantasy Island as well as the other (real) major land owners. MTV arrived via satellite, and this was the typical image of the shack with the satellite dish.

- Now come the "guest workers". Yes, they are indeed citizens, but they are treated as second class citizens by the landed gentry, which are quickly becoming a minority.

Things like the electric supply worked fine until everyone started thinking it was supposed to be universal. This took a lot of people by shock.

Add all this together and it is easy to see why they truly evolved the mañana mentality in their own incubator, a separate DNA structure from Jamaica.

After a while, you can detect it in their speech and dealings. A true Honduran will never say anything to disappoint you, even if it is to tell you that a piano is about to hit you on the head- after all, what good would it do and it may well miss you anyway? A "promise" to "catch you up later" might be a well meaning desire to continue this conversation soon (like... later what? Today?), but really- don't count on that. If you want a real crash course in island doublespeak, engage an Attorney. All things flow from Rome, well- in this case, via Tegucigalpa... which views Roatan as it's cash cow- in need of milking thrice daily.

People are always searching for or touting the true island culture. That to me infers some heritage of tradition- alas Roatan (and the Bay Islands) began their visible traditions pretty much so yesterday.

It started with cassette tapes of Reggae music and quickly evolved into MTV fed Gangsta poseurs, the leaders of which must have been those two tricked out (yellow and red) Japanese sedans that didn't last long on the pot holes of Roatan. For a while there, the DM's would do anything for NBA shirts. People got really stupid.

Their "one dollar bill", a Lempira, is worth 5¢ US. they still carry these bills around. You can't find Honduran pennies (on Roatan), but they technically still exist (certainly on the Mainland). That would be 1/100th of 5¢. With me so far? Most DM's make $50 a month. (there's where your tip comes in)

Add all of that history together, combine the world economy (you think it's bad in Ohio? Roatan has been that way for twenty years!) and there you have a perfect reason for a relaxed lifestyle.

Why bother? Today is today.

IMG_07703.jpg

............................................................................................Enjoy it.

"Most DM's make $50 a month. (there's where your tip comes in)" - Quote from Roatanman

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement. I paid my DM's about $60 week. With tips they sometimes made more than I did as the manager. I had at least 2 DM's leave because they could make even more at other resorts including CCV. Many DM's on Roatan do okay when they combine tips with salary compared to other low paying jobs on the island. I always recommend and personally tip DM's based on performance not the wages they may or may not make.

Roatan has very strict and strange wage laws by the way. They require that you pay 6 days for 5 days of continuous work. They also mandate bonuses twice a year.

"Most DM's make $50 a month. (there's where your tip comes in)" - Quote from Roatanman
I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement.

Yes, you're right, my mind fuzzed out big time. I should have said $50 a week. Your guys were luckier than most at $60.

I used to pay my full-time gardner/groundskeeper that $50 a month, but I also handed him occasional & substantial undocumented cash as well.

And speaking of bonuses, how does that "thirteenth month" thing work in Honduras?

Everybody get an icebag for your noggin before you read this reply....

Back
Top Bottom