Roatan for divers broadening their horizons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 Stars? Not....:D

Whenever I see the reference to the "star system", I have to laugh... that's what my wife (who is in the hotel evaluation business) taught me to do. The system actually does have some relevance, but only if you use the long-established criteria that define what it means. And no- "I don't know what you mean". There is no property on Roatan that even qualifies for even a 1* rating, not under any defined rating system

There are different levels of quality, to be sure. If the question was really about diving access, there is a clear top choice on Roatan, you already have my opinion (and from others) here on SB.

One of the more recent owners was a resort/hotel chain - IDK if they still run it now - you don't see much about FIBR in the Bay Islands forum here - I'd go to Cocoview.....fwiw, RoatanMan ^ is probably one of the better sources here for info on Cocoview and the south side.

Thanks for that, but...

When diving Roatan, I always stay at CCV, but don't misunderstand- I have been off diving extensively around all of the shores of Roatan. I have been diving with all major resort operations, and have spent time looking at the shops and boats of most others that have websites and have any capability to offer a real choice in service. When I talk about Roatan, this comes from almost 30 years of visits. I have, over many years, been aquaplaned around a majority of the reefs on that rock.

I am biased towards AI's in my worldwide vacation choices because all I want to do is dive- 5x a day if possible. I don't know much about the lodging options that utilize the services of day dive ops, although, again- I have likely gotten a good look at the dive-ops... it just doesn't allow me the quantity of diving I want during our vacation week. That said, the AI Fantasy Island is going to have to do some serious repair of their reputation before they'll gain my recommendation. They survived for way past where they should have just plain folded up- all on the backs of a great DM staff and super cheap prices. Even when they were selling it for $585, I still paid the $1175 to stay at CCV, just across the channel.

Roatan can be many things to many people- but the AI's are not situated all that close to the available party atmosphere of the West End- you just have to be sure and understand what you want out of your vacay. I don't want to cook, I don't want to drink at bars, I don't want to buy Guatemalan imports. I just want to dive-dive-dive.

The other huge factor most do not get to compare... is the odd and unique aspect of the local zone of diving that CCV sits in the middle of...

Picture19-2-1-1.png

This is where following a good DM who is not spending 97% of his attention hunting Lionfish- they can really teach you a lot. CCV's DMs are among the best I have found worldwide.

I get my two 2-tank boat dives, a lunch nap, an afternoon nap, a night dive, I'm good. I think that the people that think that dive #2 and #4 are "the same dive" every time represent a key aspect of why this local zone falls flat for some divers.

It is advanced diving.

What that means in this case isn't current or rough shore entry- in fact, this area is perfect for absolute noobs. After divers graduate from that level, they likely will hate this specific zone- they just haven't yet developed the skills and ability to spot anything smaller than a Barracuda or Lobster. As divers mature, they develop the advanced skills to be able to hover with perfect buoyancy and utilize advanced observational skills. This would include the daytime use of a flashlight and magnifying glass- once you start... you're hooked.

Pipefish and Sea Horses on every dive. It is just full of critters that you see nowhere else in the Caribbean. It also has the largest variety of soft and hard corals per Paul Humann. When he and other published pros like Stan Waterman shoot the macro images from Roatan- this is where they shoot and stay.

We have found one other place that we like just as well- the Hotel Atlantis on Sabang Beach Philippines. Yes- they have many more unique critters, but if you just look at the dive product, there aren't many others in our "resort favorites list". I do believe that there is some better diving in the Caribbean, but nothing as easily available and unique in the greater Bahamas/Caribbean basin- and again- never found another resort in that zone to match their total product.

Good luck getting a room. That should say something, too :wink:

Here is Doc Radawski (of Crystal Skull fame) who has been on island since 1970

Last edited:
Roatan is not usually plagued with hurricanes, but that is the start of the rainey season. While the visibility will still be good, it will not be what is can be during other times of the year.

Hola! Be aware that september/october is the middle of the hurricane season in the Caribbean...

But also, as RickyF points out, understand how these storms track- as well as their effects on different parts of the island. When storms blow past, they can totally shut down diving on the North & West sides. In that this thread has lead toward the South side and it's shore dive, understand that diving is predictably 24/7/365, as per the YouTube explanation referenced above.

Picture8-8-1-1.png

Roatan is not usually plagued with hurricanes, but that is the start of the rainey season. While the visibility will still be good, it will not be what is can be during other times of the year.

Visibility is highly over rated.

You can enjoy the South side in even the worst of conditions. Why? What you are observing on the South Side is not going to be shy and swim away- it will be hidden in plain sight, inches from your faceplate... it's always something you can (and must) look at up-close. We're talking macro heaven. What most divers understand about Roatan is the more commonly visited North and West, which although a protected zone by the Marine Reserve, is an entirely different environment. On the North and West, you will find larger fish, like Barracudas, Parrots and such- you need some fair visibility to see them. On the South, there are less of these larger fish, but you aren't looking for them, you're looking for things more like this on the South side of Roatan....

P5030028.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

aark020_2-1.jpg

IMG_1162_2.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_0955_2.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

aark050-1.jpg

99a5-1.jpg

6cb2.jpg

bdce.jpg

51fd.jpg

You don't need a lot of visibility!

The shore dive is the key- this allows you access 24/7 into the very calm water of the "Front Yard"... the very shallow, 3-10' deep area out in front of CCV, an area that sets what some say is the same dive as from FIBR.... it sets them totally apart. Night dive every night on the shallow intact wreck- you'll never get lost.

Picture24-1.gif

@ RoatanMan......Here in Virginia, anything over 15' of visibility is amazing! LOL. Roatan's southside is still my favorite place to dive.

Thanks for all the info/assistance everyone! Our flights and 8 day stay at CCV are officially booked :D

I just wanted to add, in case anyone was wondering, they were able to accommodate our Monday to Tuesday trip due to it being low season (end of November/beginning of December). Debbie at Roatan Charters was great to deal with and even went to the trouble to get me flight quotes (just out of curiosity) even though I was 99.9% sure we were using miles. Thanks again for all the recommendations and wonderful reviews, especially the photos! We're really excited to see something new and different :)

Get yourself a cheap, glass lensed magnifier and tie a string loop lanyard to it. Use it with a Flashlight to gawk.

IMG_4953.jpg

Best advice I can give.

Thanks again RoatanMan, the magnifying glass was already on my list due to your reviews :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jpenn, Following your trip, please come back and verify we did you right...! :wink:

lee

Back
Top Bottom