Roatan info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I never recommend Cozumel to new divers.

Been ti Roatan several times. So far the best.. Turquoise Bay... Tell Marcus I said YO! I have a trip report in here somewhere,,,,,,,,

I just returned from Turquois Bay and will be going back. Excellent diving, get treated very well by the staff, diving for every level.

West End is more a backpacking, serious divers vibe. I would definitely not call it a party atmosphere considering there are pretty much two bars in the whole town. West Bay is a nice beach but VERY touristy and gets absolutely packed on cruise ship days. They are about 10 minutes from each other on a water taxi and 30 minute walk down the beach.

It might be below your standards but I have been there with my family multiple time and our favorite place to stay is at the "Mi Casa" rental house and then dive with West End Divers. They are right near each other. There is a great restaurant on top of West End divers, called cafe esconditio, where you can get breakfast and lunch (or you have the freedom to go elsewhere). The kicker, the rental house is between $300-600 a week depending on if the owner is running a special. That leaves a lot of money to enjoy other things on the island. I would not recommend Splash inn. There is nothing wrong with it, it was clean but it is a bed in a room. Nothing special at all and the rooms are directly above the bar so we were listening to terrible karaoke all night.

If you want the pool, beach, diving in a more secluded area look up Turtle Beach Roatan. It is about halfway between West Bay and West End and the dive owner/master is great! Her name is Denisse and I used to dive with her at another shop before she opened her own. Most places in West Bay are nicer, I would probably recommend Infinity (for more resort like living) or West Bay Lodge for a more local but still very nice place.

In terms of weather, keep your eye on it but in Oct 2013 I was there for a week with no problems at all and Oct 2014 I was there for 2 weeks no problems. So yes it is technically the beginning of rainy season, but that is in no way guaranteed.

And Roatan it is entirely possible to get out around $2K. Last time I was there: $50 to/from the airport, $300 for the week MiCasa rental house, $35 per dive with West End divers (equipment included), Breakfast approx $5 per person/per day, lunch $1.50 for a Baleada up to $10 for a large meal, dinners are about $10-15 per person per day.

I would also recommend looking at Utila for your budget. Same concept as Roatan but a couple nicer resorts that are less expensive.

Last edited:
I would definitely not call it a party atmosphere considering there are pretty much two bars in the whole town.
I guess it depends on your definition of "bar"

CLevel
Tita's Pink Seahorse
Sundowners
Fosters
[-]Ronnys Barefoot[/-]
Cigar Bar
Eagle Rays
Booty Bar
[-]Monkey Island[/-]
Splash Inn

Plus one more I can't remember the name of - just the steps out front I fell down from.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on your definition of "bar"

Well I am from New Orleans, so I agree my view of a bar might be different than most. I consider it an establishment that only serves alcohol. Or a least only alcohol after a certain time. Those usually get a little more roudy.

Ronny's is gone.
Cigar Bar is never open.
Monkey Island torn down.
Slow season may take a few more this year.

Good ones you forgot:
Blue Marlin
Frank's Cigar Bar
Hideaway Bar (on the beach behind Frank's)

It's usually not a party atmosphere but there are great places to have a drink.

Back
Top Bottom