Roatan north shore vs. south shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry...huh??? I am asking about the difference between the west end/west bay area and the middle of the north shore.

I'm sorry...huh???

When you post such imponderables on the internet (and it was your first OP question), any number of responses you get will likely be from somebody selling something. They will all be impassioned.

My perspective on Roatan's diving comes from many dives along all of the shores. There is something good to see on either side, no particular one is better than the other. Most local "experts" have had only a small sampling of diving "on the other side" from where they habituate.

South Side addicts may often judge the entire North side by their special trip to the North to dive the Aguilla Wreck. North Side regulars have a number of dives at Mary's Place and judge their experience accordingly. Both limited perspectives are very faulty.

Divers of a certain ability level will find their excitement in seeing their first Lobster, Crab or Shark. At early stages in diving, many divers need larger familiar named critters, or dramatic reef structure and "wrecks".

It is a common thing for many divers to completely "not see" even large creatures that are lurking in plain sight on a wreck or a dramatic wall. We are so overwhelmed with the obvious that we can't see the details. This is no mistake, it is a demonstration of natural camouflaging instincts of these animals. We humans are really crappy hunters~ we have to learn over time.

As you progress, you will find these fairly obvious larger critters & objects somewhat repetitive, and you will be looking for something else, you will begin to see the "trees within the forest". Your eyes will sharpen, your tastes and needs will change. "Micro creatures and soft Corals" as mentioned previously will then become the next holy grail.

Your need for snorkeling does throw an interesting curve into it, especially on Roatan. The availability and access while on Roatan runs from 1>10, but not much in the middle. The resorts and locales you have so far specified aren't at the high end of that scale.

You ask many questions, but unfortunately offer a limited perspective of your described needs. On question you ask..."Is it worth driving to the South side to dive" opens up an entire different avenue of the thread. I would start with this: drive nowhere on Roatan, always hire a driver. Search here on ScubaBoard in this forum for the collective wisdom that supports that advisory. Then go into the remainder of your query. In a nutshell: it is much easier to "dive-op hop" around the West End, but that will not offer a solution to your "other side" curiosity.

NCChuck's appraisal of reef health is fairly accurate, but the real causation is simply not the volume of visitors. It relates more to estate development and highly localized micro-currents. NCChuck also offers you a very interesting & viable solution to your needs with Reef House Resort. You should look into it. Start right here: http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Reef House Resort Roatan/

Roatan is many things to many people, all depending upon the breadth of their experience.

:search::sblogo: It works.

Castaways
Can you tell me if we are a family of 4, 3 divers, one non diver, which resort you would recommend? Turquoise or Palmetto?................ " Thank you so much for answering these questions.

Gee Yellow, its a toss up. I like TB better but only because I'm more familiar with it. I've eaten at Palmetto 2x and it was fine. The rest. is all open there. Also the boat crews... :idk: Dive ops, like everything else, can change daily.

The road to TB is fine. There is a pool and beach at both, but the beach at TB is nicer. Of course the beaches and pools are not nearly as large as what you had at Infinity. If you are looking to get away from tourists then either one of these would work. TB was bringing in some cruiseshipers for diving and swimming last year. I don't know if they still do this. At either place, your non-diver might be able to go on the boat to snorkel while you dive.

Yes, you were told right. The reef at both is too far offshore for snorkeling without a boat or kayak. Those sit on tops they have are also hard to get on in deep water.

Hmmm. Have you checked into Bay Islands Beach Resort? Its small, inclusive, at Sandy Bay on the northside. Can snorkel from shore and not too far from West End. The owners, Ted and Cam, seem to have a lot of satisfied customers. It might give you more of what you are seeking. Just an idea.

Again to both Castaways and RoatanMan, thank you for taking the time to reply. No I agree we are hoping to develop the skills to see the 'trees in the forest', absolutely.
Not sure what you meant RoatanMan when you said it was my 1st question.?

We plan on staying away from West End West Bay for the most part.
So Castaways...any comment on accommodations and food at Turquoise Bay? And is the beach area or area around long enough to go for a run?

I have no experience at all on the north side, and only two trips to the south. First trip was 6 years ago to Fantasy Island, last August 2 weeks at The Reef House. Reef House was by far a better experience for me then FI. Much smaller, reefs visited were far less traveled and in better shape. Reef house a bit more primitive, which for my wife and I was a plus, and the food selection was limited to what they were serving for that particular meal (all very good) but what it came down to for us was the diving. In a word, GREAT!

Click on the 64 next to where it says photos under my avatar, the first 15 photos are from the Reef House trip.

You can shore dive or snorkel right out in front of the resort weather permitting. The entry and first 20 yards or so are fairly shallow with coral heads nearing the surface. As long as the waves are not too high the snorkeling is very nice. Also, night snorkeling in the "pool", the turtle enclosure right out front, can be a real hoot.

Reef House has 2 somewhat larger rooms, and the rest are not as big, so for the family you would have to contact the resort and see what would work best for your needs.

It looks like your diving experience is still somewhat limited, but the diving for the most part is fairly easy, and as long as your bouyency control is good, Davit, the divemaster, will show you some truly wonderful divesites.

Where ever you wind up going, have a great time!

Dive safe, BK

RTB and what is it that is just "to funny" about my opinion
Sorry,
No offense meant, It just read more like fact when you mentioned the
(Josie J), in which only the Roatan Tec Team can reach
If this is still opinion then MY BAD, If this is some local law I am sorry and may never do it again.
Just seems like something the WKPP people would have started back in their hard push DIR early days befor most realized how rediculous they were while at the same time rather than form another certification, many were simply doing deep "recreational" dives with a very good safety record. I wonder how many of the Roatan Tec Team have the Doria and Britannica in their logs and what it takes for those that do to join the RTT. If someone has deep air, deep gas, rebreather, cave and deep wreck experience and has already dove the Josie then what is the requirement to dive the Josie today? is it a dollar amount? Sounds kind of like the Abe Davis award that used to be simply a recognition but in time became a certification of sorts

Last edited:
ya I agree with some of your statements, its not that divers can not visit the wreck outside our team... I know that wreck is visited on a weekly basis, and luckily enough there is still a "good safety record", however its only a matter of time before someone is injured and or killed diving it b/c they don't know what their "turn pressure' is and run out of gas before any type of stop, during one of my courses I witnessed 2 divers on single 80's diving the wreck with a bottom time lasting longer than ours!!!!! I could run on and on about the problems they face but am going to save my breath........ It's only a matter of time before the headlines read "Roatan instructor kills diver", bad news for all on the island... Anyone with any expereince over the recreational limits of any training agency is more than welcome to dive with our team, or get gas fills, etc....

If your wondering about my experience and log book, No i haven't dove the Britannica or the Doria, is on my to due list though, however I come from a commercial deep sea diving background, working for deep sea salvage company's and have dives similar to those wrecks. And have accumulated over the years many deco dives both in commercial and open circuit. I just want to make sure the diving here stays safe and if people want to dive the wreck properly and safely, sign up for a trimix course....

ummmm...I know that dialogues can take a turn in these forums..but the topic here is diving sites north shore versus south on Roatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom